Wednesday, April 20, 2011

They say each pregnancy and baby are different....

....and this little guy is proving that he's going to make his mark on this world. Either he's the most mellow baby in the world, or he's already trying his hand at testing his mother's patience!

It's hard to be such a planner and to have zero control or predictability about going into labor and delivering a baby. Given that Morgan was 10 days early and Bennett 7 days early, I never thought I'd be sitting here a day before my due date wondering how an induction is going to go. But so goes life and I suppose it's all part of my journey as a mother.

I suppose it would not be as disappointing or tiring if I hadn't been having real contractions for two weeks now. Last night was the straw that broke the camel's back, however. At 2:30 in the morning, the contractions were so reminiscent of previous labors that I thought for sure that this little stinker decided to pave his own way two days before the scheduled induction. I was in pain for a couple of hours and then it stopped just as quickly as it had started. This has pretty much been the way things have gone for the past few weeks. Totally frustrating and always leaving me disappointed as I inevitably had started thinking about how it's going to be to feel this baby in my arms and smell his sweet baby's breath. 

Patience is certainly no virtue of mine, but at least I know that this is all coming to and end (or is it a beginning?) tomorrow as I go in for my scheduled induction. It's a good thing too, as the kids are getting antsy about meeting their little brother. Every night for the past week or so, Morgan has said goodnight to me, "see you in the morning, if not sooner!" and anxiously awaits news of a baby during each day.

I'm extremely nervous about being induced, as I've never before experienced anything remotely close to an induction. Never had to have anything stripped, never had to have pitocin, etc. I just keep praying that all the contractions I've been having have progressed my further than the 1cm I was dialated a week ago and that all I need is a subtle push to get things really going. For real this time.

Can't wait to meet the final member of our family tomorrow. I wonder who he's going to look like and what his temperament is going to be like. They say that each child is different...

No comments: