Tuesday, May 5, 2009

And then he did the craziest thing

My son, notorious for shaking his head violently when you take him into the bathroom to sit on the potty, just did the craziest thing. You see, I was in the kitchen making quesadillas for lunch (it is Cinco de Mayo, after all) when he walks in and says "Momma, me go potty on the potty." I didn't believe for one minute that he would actually go on the potty, since he'd done all but scrape the skin off my arms with his fingernails on previous occasions. Sure that this was some sort of plot to get under my skin and keep me from finishing my task, I gave him a test.

"Bennett, do you need to go pee pee or poo poo?"
"Poo Poo"

What do I do? Here I am, skillet all hot and cheese all melty. Quickly, I wrangle Morgan into the equation and give her a crash course in flipping a tortilla over and checking for burning and then take Bennett into the bathroom. I remove his clothes and his diaper, scramble to locate the potty seat we've tucked far away. Okay, here goes nothing. This is the point where he normally looks at me with his baby blues and screams "NO!" at me. Except today? He did the craziest thing. He sat on the potty. Yeah.

So, then I see his little boy parts poking up and I explain to him that he needs to point it down. I show him how. His face lights up when he's been given permission to touch it. He grabs it. I try to explain to him that if he pees, he can't have his hand over it. To just take one finger and point it down. He does this and I give the appropriate level of praise and then I wait. Hmmm. Quesadillas are surely going to be burned in the kitchen. Thinking quickly, I grab a book and ask him to look through it while I go check on things in the kitchen. Quickly thinking of what I can bribe him with, I remember we have some cookies left over from the batch that Lance baked and I tell him that if he does go potty in the potty, he can have a cookie when he's done!

Back in the kitchen, Morgan is too afraid to flip the quesadilla, so I ask her to trade with me and to go oversee the potty situation. I give her two simple instructions. First, do NOT let him get up without me being in there. And second, but most important, is to be VERY supportive. Tell him how proud you are of him sitting there and if he does actually go, to let me know.

Minutes later, the unthinkable happens. That's right. HE POOPED ON THE POTTY. Word came from Morgan, "Mom!! He went!!" Flipping the quesadilla over for the last time, I throw the spatula down on the counter and race to the bathroom where he's sitting there with a big smile on his face and a big turd in the potty. Wow. Crazy. Yes, he did something crazy and now it was my turn. I immediately bust out the best potty dance you've ever seen. Morgan joins in.

"Poo poo on the potty! Poo poo on the potty! Bennett went....Poo poo on the potty! YAY!"

Big smiles, I wipe him up and get him off the potty. THANK GOD I have held onto the pull ups from back in the day. I have yet another thing to reward him with. "Bennett, I'm so proud of you! Because not only did you go potty in the potty, but you also told me that you had to go before you went! Great job! Because of that, you get to wear big boy diapers!!" I bust out the old pull ups and choose Woody and Buzz Lightyear over the Disney Princesses, we all get cleaned up and go into the kitchen to eat lunch.

Bennett got to eat his cookie BEFORE lunch. Ooooooohhhhh! Yep, there was crazy going on at our house today!

No comments: