Saturday, May 23, 2009

Grilled pizza

I'm known to sometimes get a wild hair and decide to do something a little crazy. Or big. Or crazy and big. Today's adventure was brought to you by one of these stray hairs.

I ran across a cookbook Lance and I had been given during our first year of marriage. It's a cookbook for making pizzas. Dough from scratch. Sauce from scratch. The real deal. I decided that was what we were going to do. Only that's not crazy or BIG enough, so we're going to GRILL the pizza instead of baking it. :)




I set to work, making the dough and letting it rise, punching it out and then forming the crust. We had read up on how to grill the pizza and one site recommended that you grill the crust before adding the toppings and then grill until the toppings melt. We did this and it turned out okay, but would have been better if we would have grilled just one side of the crust and the flipped it, put the toppings on and then grilled it until the toppings melted.

We made two pizzas...one was for Lance and myself and was a pesto sauce with goat cheese, olives and roasted red peppers for the toppings. The other was a simple tomato sauce with cheese for the kids. I loved the taste of both pizzas, but Lance said that he didn't like the tomato sauce since it was just blended tomatoes, rather than using canned tomato sauce. He said it wasn't saucy enough. Next time, I'll just make it easier on myself and use canned tomato sauce. :)

The kids had fun putting the toppings on their pizza. They thought it was super cool that we were grilling it and enjoyed eating it nearly as much! It was a fun experiment, one that we are looking forward to trying again soon!

No comments: