Saturday, May 2, 2009

Spring tease

When we planned the May Supper Club (our title for the monthly dinner get together we have with the Alexanders) back in April, I know we both had high hopes that the weather would be nice enough that we could start eating outdoors and watch the kids romp around in the backyard. And maybe, if by some crazy miracle, May 2nd would have come a couple of weeks ago, we could have. But, unfortunately it's been rainy. And a little chilly. And all together un-summer like. It's not fair! One minute we have gorgeous weather and the next it's rainy. And it's not like we get to pick what day we are going to get what.

I know I must sounds like a brat. Or at the very least, a weather snob. And the truth is, I have become just that. I guess that's what living in California will do for you. The weather is somewhat predictable, especially over the past couple of years, and we have so much sunny weather, that a few rainy days really get us down. I grew up in Florida and went to school in Alabama. I know humidity. Out here in glorious California, there's usually NO SUCH THING. I adore it! Except for right now. All kinds of humidity. Also? In the summers in California? It doesn't rain. You read that right. Like never. Okay, maybe not never, but really hardly ever. So you can plan things to be outside and count on the fact that it's not going to rain. Like, when I got married outside in July of 1999. My mom wanted to know what my backup plan was. I tried my best to explain to her that I wouldn't need a backup plan, because it soooo wasn't going to rain on July 10th! Of course, that held true, but what I didn't factor in was that out of the blue, it was like in the high 90's. In the south bay, which means that if I had lived in Livermore at the time, it would have broken the 100's easily. That's the other thing. If it's in the 100's in Livermore, you can easily drive 45 minutes and be in the city or on the coast, where it will be at least 30 to 40 degrees cooler. Yep, we live quite the charmed life out here. Guess that's what the property taxes are all about, huh?

Well, we had a great time with the Alexanders, despite the rain. We had spaghetti and the kids all played really nicely together so the adults actually had time to converse. Love me some Supper Club! :)

No comments: