Saturday, May 16, 2009

Yet another rite of passage

I suppose it was only a matter of time. As we grew out of the "T", or toddler, section of the stores and had to quit shopping at BABY Gap, it really was only a matter of time before I have to face the fact that my daughter is growing up. And there are clothes out there that she will want to wear that I may not be comfortable with my baby wearing. You know, like knee length skirts and anything remotely "grown up". So, imagine my surprise when I saw my options for bathing suits for my daughter who has apparently been fertilized sometime this year since the bathing suits that were too big for her at the end of the summer last September are now way too small. It only took a simultaneous wedgie and straps digging into her shoulders for me to get the picture that she needed some new suits.

I met a friend at Old Navy and we started looking. It took me a minute to realize that she was no longer in the same toddler area and so I wheeled around to see the bathing suits in her size. Oh my. A WHOLE WALL of bikinis and tankinis. I had a somewhat carnal reaction, I must admit. I'm not sure why. She's never had a two piece bathing suit. As a baby and toddler, when it wouldn't have seemed quite as risque to me, I just didn't find it practical. Now she's older and the majority of the suits are two pieces. I nearly fell over, trying to picture my girl in a two piece. She's still a little girl! Can't I please just stuff her into something with a ruffle on the bottom?


Nevertheless, I overcame my fear and found the most child-like and homeliest tankini in the bunch. I bought it and here it is on my girl. And I have to admit, it's pretty cute. Too bad when she swims, the bottoms sort of fall off. Can't count the number of times she mooned me as her little bottom came bursting out of the water on this particular day. Guess we need to fertilize her a little more so they fit a little better. :)

No comments: