Friday, May 30, 2008

Damn that preschool book!!

Today was Morgan's last day of preschool. We are going to be out of town during their preschool graduation, so we cut her preschool experience off at the end of May. Given that we won't be there for the graduation ceremony, the director of the preschool gave Morgan a gift bag and a book called The Night Before Kindergarten. Very excited that it was her last day at preschool (she pretty much announced it to everyone upon entering the building this morning), she was far more excited about his new book talking about kindergarten. She looked at it all the way home and then was immediately ready for nap upon returning home because she was anxious to have this book read to her.

The book is very cute -- it's set to the same "tune" as The Night Before Christmas. It talks about how the kids are getting ready to start kindergarten the night before by setting out their clothes and getting their supplies ready in their backbacks, parked by the door. It talks about how the kids are very excited but also a little scared. It then goes on to describe how the parents are supportive of their incoming students by telling them that they'll go to the classroom with them. The kids immediately fall into the fun of kindergarten with songs and circle time and the parents are left looking in from the doorway, with tears in their eyes. Then the kids console their parents and tell them that everything is going to be okay.

Morgan wanted to know why the parents were crying and I had to explain this to her, and of course, I couldn't do it without tearing up myself. I'm a good 3 months away from her first day of kindergarten and I'm already a wreck like this? This is not going to be good! Seeing the tears in my eyes, Morgan smiles and then wraps her arms around me and tells me that she loves me and it's going to be okay.

My little girl is growing up. *sigh*

No comments: