Friday, May 16, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

My typical thing to do is to make a big batch of pancakes or waffles on Tuesday for the kids to eat on throughout the week. It just really seems to help the flow of the mornings and I like that my kids are getting "hot meals" most mornings. I also normally try to mix and match other breakfasts in there to keep it lively, but sometimes all they want is pancakes. Especially the 4 year old, who could live on pancakes, macaroni and cheese and ice cream alone. I mean, that is a complete and nutritious diet, you know. So, this morning, I thought I would mix it up a little and cook up some sausage and scrambled eggs to go with the pancakes. My four year old, Morgan, never has eaten eggs. Just never liked them, even since she was a one year old herself. So, my plan is to just scramble some up for my one year old, Bennett, since he'll eat them and do the sausage mostly for her.

No sooner had I given Bennett his scrambled eggs when Morgan decides that she MUST have eggs also. She asks me to hard boil eggs. I explained to her that hard boiled eggs are cooked an entirely different way and that I wasn't cooking that way, so that would be a no on the hardboiled egg this morning. Not to be outdone by her younger brother, she proceeds to ask me to scramble some eggs for her. What?

Now, she is notorious for always thinking that whatever anyone else has is better than what she has and then also not eating something she's asked for. So, I give her a little piece of Bennett's eggs to "try" since she doesn't usually like them. "Mmmmm. Those are good, Momma!". Okay. Whatever. It's just an egg. So, I scramble up another egg for her and proceed with the turkey sausage. She acts like she's enjoying the eggs, but as soon as she sees the sausage she stops eating. I asked her to eat a little more of her eggs before I gave her the sausage and she obliged. But man, I've never seen her eat so fast as she did when she ate the sausage this morning. No matter how much she feels she needs the same as her brother, her true colors always come shining through!

Bennett, of course, needs to learn a thing or two from his older sister. He didn't touch the sausage. Oh wait. I take that back. He did touch it long enough to fling it on the floor, and behind his highchair, in his hair and of course, scraping it down into his seat. Little stinker.

No comments: