Monday, May 26, 2008

Role model

We went on a family hike this morning. Lance carried Bennett on his back in one of those backpack carrier things and Morgan followed along, complaining periodically. We found four geocaches along the way and Morgan got to do a trade for a small plastic zebra.

The most interesting thing that happened, wasn't related to hiking or geocaching per se, but did reinforce the speaker I had recently listened to regarding discipline. She told me that the biggest way you teach your kids is through example. Not a new concept, by any means, but it was driven home out on the hiking path this morning.

After too many cups of coffee, I was out in the middle of no where and had to pee. I finally found a private push as we were searching for a particular geocache and squatted and relieved myself. After watching with amazement, Morgan announced that she had to go to the bathroom, too. Only she had to go poop. Oh my. I tell her that I'm not schooled in the ways of bush-pooping. This is when she informs me that the last time she went geocaching with Daddy, he went poop in a bush. Well, aren't we the excellent role models? She squatted but couldn't pee or poop. But she sure was trying to be like Mom and Dad, now wasn't she?

No comments: