Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reason 1027 why my husband ROCKS!

We had planned to have my mother-in-law in town today, but she came down with strep throat and cancelled at the last minute. Suddenly, we were presented with not only an ENTIRE weekend free, but a three day weekend at that!

A few nights ago, I was lamenting the lack of options that I had seen in stores around here for my CD/DVD organization project. I told Lance that I really wanted to go to The Container Store, which was roughly 30 minutes from home. When we realized we had today free, he suggested that we load the kids up and go. This is like telling a five year old that we are going to Toys R Us, since I'm somewhat of an organization junkie. I even jokingly told Morgan that we were going to a toy store for Momma. When we got there, she was a wee bit disappointed. I'll be really glad when she starts to pick up on sarcasm. But I digress. We went to The Container store and we got these cool CD file boxes (which hold 100 CD's each) and then went out for lunch after.

During lunch, we started to discuss our plan of attack for organizing the CD's. We have, easily, 600 CDs and probably 100 DVDs. The CD file boxes have a sheet in the front where you list the CDs in each CD envelope, by number. It leaves little room for additions. UNLESS YOU COMPUTERIZE IT. This is where my hubby comes in.

You see, he happens to have a bar code scanner. Umm, yep. That's right. And, oh by the way, he also happens to have created an application that parses the data from the barcode and does a lookup to an internet database that pulls down the item's information automatically. Hello holy grail! Since we got home, he's been busy scanning bar codes. He plans to dump the information into Excel and then format it for the size of the cards that go into the boxes and then printing them out.

I'm in love.

No comments: