Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just another day in paradise

Maybe it's that my nerves are still on edge from yesterday's events, but Morgan's "typical" stuff is driving me batty this morning. This is my day so far.

Bennett is up before 7am this morning, so I'm really perplexed as to his sleeping habits now. I shake off the last bits of sweet, quiet, warm slumber and get out of the bed. I grab a quick shower before he gets "angry", make the bed and head downstairs with the dog to let her out (she's already started her whining). Lance is still at home, so he gets Bennett out of his crib and lets him wander around while he's fixing his breakfast and getting ready to go. So, Bennett is wandering around the living room with our TiVo remote and Morgan is curled up on the couch with her Leapster. Not too bad. I greet the kids - telling Morgan good morning and asking her if we are going to have a better day today. She responds affirmatively and I grab Bennett and go into the kitchen to get the day started.

I warm up pancakes for him and wash up some blueberries for both kids. Morgan comes into the kitchen and requests raisin bran for breakfast. I pour her up a bowl, and present her with her breakfast. Bennett gets going on his and both kids are happy. You know as soon as Morgan done eating because the noise level and crazy level increase, almost immediately. I ask her if she's done and she says she is and I ask her to clear her dishes.

She brings them over to me at the sink. Not wanting to stray to far from my side (how can she annoy me from a distance?), she stands at the refrigerator and starts "playing" with Bennett's Leap Frog refrigerator magnet toy. I say "playing" because is pressing it repeatedly while screaming out lyrics really playing with it? So, after at least five minutes straight of "She'll Be Coming Around The Mountain" over and over, at a very loud decibel, I ask her to please not repeat the same song over and over. So, she proceeds to go through THE ENTIRE LOOP OF SONGS. Over and over. Okay, whatever. Tune it out, right? Only it gets to a point where I can't do that anymore. I count to three and ask her in a polite manner to please not do that. Please do not play any of the songs anymore. Please do not touch it again. Because when you touch it, it plays music. What a great toy!! Can we get more?! I suggest to her that if she is interested in singing, then maybe she can go to a different room and sing to her hearts' content, she is a kid after all. I see her heading for the dining room, which is literally like three paces away. I tell her that she can go ANYWHERE but the kitchen and dining room if she'd like to make noise or sing.

So, get this. She goes into the playroom, which is across from the kitchen. She picks out her LOUDEST, MOST ANNOYING whistle and proceeds to make up "songs" with it. Bennett catches on and starts making whistling noises, imitating the way the whistle sounds. Good times. As a side note, Lance and I pondered the reality of having a very talkative older child when I was pregnant with Bennett. We agreed that he'd either not have much to say -- why bother competing, or he'd talk MORE than her (is that possible??) to overcompensate. I believe we are going to have two very talkative, very loud kids in our house. *sigh*

But you'd be very proud of me. Instead of yelling at her, for clearly and purposefully working my nerves, I simply asked her if she could shut the door. She obliged and whistled for about five more seconds before she realized that it's not much fun to just make noise when you can't watch the reaction of your mother, which you are clearly trying to irritate. She stopped. Imagine that!

Dear Lord, please let today be better than yesterday. I would really like the kids to be alive and well when their father returns from work.

It's gonna be a loooooooooong summer.

1 comment:

emily said...

Oh boy! Today was Claire's last day of school, and now I'm frightened about what the summer holds. Yikes! I hope your day gets better.