Monday, June 2, 2008

Odds and Ends. Literally. Ends.

Today started out looking to be a terrific day. Not much on the agenda except playtime with the kids in the morning, an early lunch, and then Morgan's final registration for kindergarten at 1pm. I tried again this morning to put Bennett down for a nap while I supervised Morgan's bath and got myself showered and dressed. He is officially through with morning naps, it would appear. No worries, once I was ready, I got him out of his crib, Morgan got dressed and we headed outside to play.

It's a gorgeous day! I'm enjoying every moment of our "first day of summer" now that Morgan is done with preschool. We blew bubbles, bounced balls, played with a yard bowling set, etc. When it was snack time, I thought it might be fun for the kids to eat their snack in the wagon as I wheeled them around the neighborhood. They agreed and happily ate goldfish while I pulled them around the whole neighborhood, stopping to say hello to some neighbors.

After snack, we checked on the plants that Morgan has been growing. There's one set that we planted in our planters in the courtyard in late February, that have grown but haven't bloomed yet. Then there's a plant that she started at preschool and then brought home after it sprouted. Both now are blooming, which really tickled her to no end!

Once inside, it was time to start preparing lunch. I went to throw away something in the kitchen trash can, and find, what I originally think is doll hair. That's odd. Thinking of what doll it might have come from and how it might have happened, I pause as I realize that Morgan doesn't have a doll with blonde hair that's that long. Hmmm. This is her hair!! Instantly, I have little flashes of images in my head. You know, ones of her coming to me this morning with various things she cut out of a paper.


I try not to freak out too much, as I pull it from the garbage can. I hold it up in the air and with the best Joan Crawford impersonation I can muster, ask her one simple question. "WHAT IS THIS???" She responds with a typical "I don't know". I proceed to ask her about a thousand questions related to the hair and how it got into the trash can. She relates to me that she accidentally cut it because she was leaning over when she was doing her "crafts" earlier and her hair fell in the way. She cleaned it up and put it in the trash because she didn't want me to get mad. She didn't tell me about it because she didn't realize she should. I proceed to rant and rave about lying by omission and how I am mad because she hid it from me and not because she cut her hair. She's looking at me like I'm a lunatic. But, you know what? You just don't like to see a cluster of your daughter's gorgeous golden blonde hair lying their next to the coffee grounds in the trash can. It's just not right!!

Her hair doesn't look too bad - it's not really that obvious that she cut her hair. But, we will be going to get a haircut this afternoon. I'm thinking, and this is where I fear I may be overreacting, that I will have them trim it all up to the point where she cut it. One, because I would like to prove a point about being responsible with scissors, but also, two, because I'm tired of fighting her to do her hair. Seems like a win-win to me. *shrugs*

No comments: