Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Leftovers for dinner

Have you ever had a day that you feel like you just fought your way through. Like nothing comes easy, but it's not just one big thing, it's lots of little things? Yeah, that's been my day. And days like that leave me just exhausted. Too exhausted to bore you with all the details, but I will give you the highlights.

"No nap Bennett" made it extremely difficult to get lunches made for today's park outing.

Morgan had to change her shoes not ONCE, not TWICE, but THREE times!! First it was flip flops, then it was sandals. Then it was tennis shoes once I finally convinced her that she would not be happy with tan bark in her sandals. Oh, and side annoyance here - I use those zip up laundry bags for the kids' socks and happend to have done a load last night. I COULD NOT get that stupid bag open for the life of me. I actually threw it down and screamed. Yes, I did that. In front of my children. And then I asked Morgan to just go grab some socks from her suitcase. Because I didn't have TIME FOR THIS! :)

"Let's dump out every toy that has a bazillion parts all over the living room and dining rooms floor Morgan" made it so that when we did actually get to leave the house, it appeared as though we were fleeing the site of a hurricane.

The park was fun - the kids had lots of fun playing in the water. But it's always a hassle to lug the kids, the stroller, the umbrella, the sand toys, the bathing suits and towels, the sunscreen, teh hats, the lunches and plethra of snacks, water, etc, etc. Just makes me tired thinking of it. :) And of course, I meant to bring some things to one of the girls from playgroup and forgot it!

After the park, I had to zoom home because I had my niece coming over for a little nap-time babysitting so I could go indulge in a pedicure. She came right on time and things were looking up. I got to the place and they were able to attend to me right away. Okay, okay. Things might be getting better. Except for the part where I asked her to please be careful with where I got kicked playing soccer on Sunday and have the HUGE bruise on my leg. She was pretty careful. But after it was all done, she gets up and grabs some cream?! and puts it on my bruise. So, I ask her what it is. She tells me that it's a cream that will make the pain go away. It's so good, she tells me. She puts it on her fingers when she cuts them and it takes the pain right away. Ummm. Okay. I'm not even going to go into the whole finger cutting thing and why she has the cream in HER DRAWER. At the nail salon. But anyway - you could have ASKED me before applying this cream on my bruise. As I sit here, a good six hours later, my leg is still NUMB where she applied this cream and there's a big red spot now. Gee, thanks!

The pedicure went pretty quickly and I thought I might have a little more time before the kids woke up, so I called and checked with my niece and then headed over to Target to try to find the Cheerio dispenser that Wendy suggested. No luck. Of course. I did manage to find some other toys that I hope will do the trick!

After getting home and seeing my niece off, Bennett woke up (Morgan was already awake) and was honery as all get out. One of those times where he's just roaming around, just crying and making noise. Not fun. I try to see if he wants snack and he goes crazy when I ask if he wants watermelon. So, I set him up with watermelon as I'm trying to finish getting whatever I need out of the kids' rooms so after dinner, they can just go to bed undisturbed. While I'm doing this, I hear a loud crash and then Bennett going "Uhhh-oh! Uhhh-oh!" At this exact moment, Morgan's friend and his Dad ring the doorbell to see if she can come over. Yes, please take her out of this crazy house. :) I go to check on Bennett, and this is what I find. Yes, that is his bowl behind his highchair back. And yes, that's a watermelon seed on his forehead. Crazy fool.

Well, that makes it bathtime, so I bathe Bennett and get him dressed in his jammies. It's getting on 5:30 now and nearing dinner and bedtime, so why not? Except he's really cranky. Okay, I just need to get him out of the house. I plop him in the stroller, and stroll over to the neighbor's house where Morgan is playing out front. We hang out there for a while, but Bennett is screaming to get out of the stroller. He has no shoes on, of course, because he's ready for bed. So, I take him out of the stroller and he starts screaming to get down. I fight that for a while. Stroller. Arms. Stroller. Arms. But finally, I give in. It's the fatigue getting to me. I let him down on the ground with strict orders to stay on the sidewalk only! Of course, I needed to be more specific because he decides to just high tail it the other way, trying to make an escape around the plock. So, I try to corral him back, but there's no corraling a 13 month old baby. So, I pick him up. And he wants down. And up and down. Up and down. More screaming and then it's time to go.

Oh, and by the way, when we got home, Morgan asked me if I wanted her to try to get her sock laundry bag open. Sure, why not. And what do you know - that little stinker gets it open right away. By this time, even if I wanted to make dinner (and I *had* planned to cook dinner tonight), I just couldn't muster up the energy. Leftovers it is. Sorry, honey.

But, finally, something went right. My husband walked in the door. And I went and escaped upstairs. In the bathroom. But hey, I got away. Alone. :)

Tomorrow should be fun. Cross-country flight. Two kids and one adult. 3 hour layover.

I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man, i am so sorry they didn't have the cheerios phone. if I find it somewhere else, I'll let you know. i hope your trip went ok!