Saturday, February 21, 2009

A fun night out, but not a fun night in

I've been looking forward to tonight for weeks, every since I got an email from my friend Melissa's husband Marshall, asking me to save the date and get a sitter. I did both of those things and considering the weeks I've been having, I was really looking forward to a night out on the town with my husband and with friends. We were celebrating Melissa's 30th birthday and I was looking forward to the Cajun food at Roux and then cupcakes at Kara's cupcakes after. The kids were a little touch and go...Morgan hadn't thrown up since Friday morning and Bennett got a little better, then a little worse, then a little better again. So, we decided to go ahead and go. We got dressed up a little (I even curled my hair, though you couldn't tell it by the end of the night!) and headed over to the Alexanders' house to carpool with them down to Santana Row where we were meeting two other couples for dinner.

The food was fabulous - I don't think I've ever had hush puppies as good, and being a southerner, you know I've had my share! The drinks were good too, I even got the traditional New Orleans drinks of a hurricane and a hand grenade! After a long dinner with great conversation, with the added bonus of not having to discipline anyone, we headed over to get our cupcakes. It was sprinkling outside, and there was nowhere to sit inside Kara's, so we got our cupcakes boxed up and headed over to The Left Bank to have a few more drinks and enjoy our cupcakes. I got some coffee with Bailey's and we enjoyed even more great conversation with the Alexanders and their great friends.

Two of us couples were paying for sitters, so we ended the night a little early, a little before 10:30. We drove back up, said our goodbyes to the Alexanders and headed home. Where we were greeted by my niece who informed us that after downing two bowls of macaroni and cheese, Bennett threw up. All over the kitchen. And chaos ensued when our dog, Elly, came running in to eat it up. Pukey kids were set aside while disgusting dogs were dealt with. I felt SOOO bad!! Not just about not being here when Bennett threw up, but also about my niece having to deal with all that.

A good friend of mine made a good point though, what better birth control?? :)

No comments: