Thursday, February 12, 2009

A letter to the secret service

Dear Secret Service,

Ever since Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. day at school, every picture of a person that my daughter, Morgan, has colored has been colored black. Everything from baby Moses to Charlie Brown, they are all black. Some even look like Dennis Rodman with blonde hair! Then, unbeknown to me, my husband allowed my daughter to watch a documentary on the Discovery Channel on the assassination of JFK. She woke up the next morning telling me all about the president who got shot while driving in a parade. She went to school (!!) and shared the history lesson she got via the Discovery channel and Dad and it included things like CAT scans and conspiracy theories.

Now, it's not going to be much longer before this daughter of mine colors a picture of a black president being assassinated. I can picture it, complete with the "badge man" that she keeps talking about. She might even draw a rainbow over the grassy knoll.

I want to just put this out there in advance, because I don't want anyone knocking down our doors due to the graphic and timely nature of my daughter's drawings. She doesn't mean anything by it. She's just a curious child. My apologies in advance.

Sincerely,
Mother of curious child

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't laugh but I did have to chuckle a bit... reminds me of a sketch from SNL (I think?) where you'd barely get the words, "K*** the president" out and the Secret Service would be tackling you!