Thursday, February 26, 2009

A new dish for dinner

Tonight, I thought I'd try a new recipe from one of my tried and true cookbooks, the Weight Watchers 5 ingredient, 15 minutes cookbook. This cookbook is seriously overused by me as the recipes are all simple, EASY, healthy and pretty yummy. I can't say we've had a bad one. Never having enough ways to cook chicken, I picked out Mexican Chicken Skillet. Now, mind you, I had like only one of the identical ingredients, so I made do with what I had, but it turned out really yummy nevertheless. I'll post the original recipe with my substitutions in parenthesis.

I will say, that the thing that made it so delicious and ultimately provided that finishing touches was the fact that just as we were dishing up the food, my husband (who's job has not allowed him to have dinner with us during the week since he started two weeks ago) walked in the door. We had a family dinner, yippee!

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 9-oz package frozen southwestern-flavored cooked chicken breast strips (I thawed 4 frozen chicken breasts, cut them into strips and seasoned them with some homemade taco seasoning + some chili powder*)
1 3/4 c. water
1 14.5-oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (I used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes and seasoned it myself with chili powder)
2 cups instant rice, uncooked (I used instant brown rice)
1 8.75-oz can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained (I used frozen corn -- no idea how much, maybe like half a bag? -- that I had thawed under warm water)
1 cup preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese

1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken strips and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken in thoroughly heated (or cooked in my case). Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

2. Add water and tomatoes to skillet; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and corn; top with chicken strips and cheese. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.

8 WW points: 402 Calories, 55.5g Carbohydrate, 7.7g Fat, 1.3g Fiber, 27.1g Protein, 40mg Cholesterol, 767mg Sodium, 239mg Calcium, 2.0mg Iron

* If you want the recipe for the taco seasoning mix, let me know. I got it from the Miserly Moms book.

No comments: