Saturday, February 14, 2009

A very ordinarily magical Valentine's Day

There were no plans to go out to a fancy dinner. No going to see a jazz band or taking in the latest movie. Nope, we opted to stay in for Valentines today and it was perfect!

The day started with some heart shaped pancakes my hubby made for me. That's right. For ME. The kids had already asked for cereal and didn't have the patience to wait for pancakes, so we fed them breakfast first and then Lance and I sat down to some heart shaped pancakes.


I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but the second picture has Kiss Me written in syrup. You saw that, right?

The kids opened presents from us and from my parents and were ecstatic with what they got. Bennett got an Elmo Loves You video from my parents and a Find and Fit puzzle book set from us. Morgan got the movie E.T. from my parents and Barbie paper dolls from us.


After presents, it was time for Morgan and Lance to head off to Lowe's for the Kids' Workshop where they were building jewelry boxes. Morgan came back really excited. She got to keep an apron and even got a patch for building the jewelry box. I think this is something we'll be doing more of in the future. Especially since it's totally free! When they came back, they also had a little something special for me. :)


Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, here's the card that they made for me. All three of them. :)

Lance, Morgan, Bennett


And here is the "smelly heart" that Morgan made for Lance and I at school. They took scented candle shavings and melted them between wax paper and cut them into hearts.


After lunch, the kids went down for naps and Lance and I got busy. No, not that kind of busy. He went to work in Morgan's room, scraping the ceilings. We had a plumbing issue that required us to cut a hole in the ceiling of her room to diagnose properly and now that it's time to repair it, we've decided to scrape down the popcorn from her ceiling. Here's my little honey bunny on Valentine's Day this year.

Doesn't he look cute?? Yeah, in that freaky oompa loompa way. ;-)

While he was busy working up a sweat in Morgan's room, I was busy in the kitchen baking him some special treats. I made him Russian tea cakes (his favorite) and also baked some brownies for our dessert later that night. I also started to prep for the romantic dinner we had planned for when the kids went to bed.

Later, Lance got the kids fed (leftover heart pancakes, nonetheless) while I got showered and prepared dinner. I made Cornish game hens with rice, toasty garlic bread (the bread I made from scratch!) and Caesar salad. We ate on our fine china and silver at the dining room table, complete with candle light, wine, and some Coldplay. I even used the dimmer on our dining room light fixture, so it was extra romantic over the candle light. We actually got to talk and not have to worry about disciplining children or who's throwing what food. It was really nice! We should do it more often!

After dinner, we loaded up Made of Honor in the DVD and watched this romantic comedy together. Half way through, we stopped and got the brownies from the oven and put some ice cream on top and enjoyed our chocolaty gooey goodness. Mmmmm.

No grand gestures, no elaborate plans. Just us, together, enjoying each other's company. What a perfect Valentine's Day.

No comments: