Monday, October 20, 2008

The passing along of knowlege and wisdom

In most societies, the extended family is very close and they hand down all kinds of wise words and lessons. Well, today we passed down the wisdom of shopping to our youngest girl, as any good tribe would. As I recently told a friend of mine, my mother didn't teach me how to sew. She didn't need to. She taught me how to shop! :)

After the going to the gym, Bennett's Terrific Toddler class and picking Morgan up from school, we came home for lunch (my Dad and I went out for sushi!) and then Morgan was allowed to skip her nap and go out for a shopping trip to the mall with the girls. She was very excited about this and promised to be on her best behavior, even though she was missing her nap.

We had her try on jeans that DON'T SHOW HER UNDERWEAR when she sits down, which apparently all the jeans she has (even the ones we just bought for back-to-school) do and are therefore deemed too small. We had her try them on and sit on the floor and we inspected her butt crack. No underwear! Yippee! We also got her Christmas dress and Bennett's Christmas outfit -- they are going to be so cute! Grandma successfully bribed her to behave on our trip with promises of the MATCHING HANDBAG! *gasp* She was good and earned it and is so excited to put her chap stick in it. :) That's my girl! She even waited patiently while my Mom and I checked out the sale at Ann Taylor and shopped for shoes at Macy's.

Things were so successful, we stopped at my new favorite yogurt place for a post-shopping treat. All in all, a successful trip and I'd say that this is one thing we can check off of the "things to pass down to the granddaughter/daughter" list.

3 comments:

melissa said...

My Grandma taught me how to shop. I loved going with her! And my mom used to take me shopping whenever my dad and brother went away for the weekend. So fun! Can't wait to do it with Clare. Where did you get the Xmas outfits? I don't like the dress I got at Gymboree and am taking it back.

Work in Progress said...

We ended up getting both of their outfits at Children's Place. But, I will tell you that if I had a little girl about Clare's age, I'd go check out the obscenely overpriced Janie and Jack. There is some seriously cute stuff there for little girls!

melissa said...

Tell me about it. I've already had a red shirt and plaid skirt in mind there. It WAS just marked down, though ;-) I'm seriously thinking of going for it. It's adorable. I tried the Gymbo dress using my Gymbucks to buy it, but it's just not that cute.