Thursday, March 19, 2009

Danger at the zoo

Some of you may have heard about the horrible tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo on Christmas day in 2007. Since then, you can see how the zoo has secured many of it's animal enclosures much better than they were before. One thing that they haven't done was to get rid of the crazy savage squirrels they have running around.

It was a beautiful day at the zoo. We were enjoying giraffes, turtles, birds, and other creatures. We went into the children's zoo and saw there was a fairly large petting zoo. We all parked our strollers outside the petting zoo, as instructed, and went in to enjoy some fun with the goats and sheep. While we were in there, the batteries in my camera died. I wanted to take a picture of Bennett on a tiny little tractor, so I ran out to get replacement batteries from my diaper bag. I noticed a rather large squirrel on the handle of my friend Melissa's stroller. It was trying to get into a bag of wheat thins she had and was dangerously close to her Starbucks coffee cup. I shooed it away, grabbed my batteries and headed back in and took this amazingly cute shot.


We spent a lot of time in the petting zoo and then it was time to move on. We went to the gate where the hand sanitizer was, sanitized our hands and then went out to get the stroller. I looked at the ground and saw a bag of cookies that had been opened. Hmmm....I brought some with me just like that. That's when it dawned on me. They were MY cookies. Like, the ones that were in the thermos cooler bag that was completely zipped up. I checked my bag. Yep. The little bastard had managed to unzip the bag and in doing so, ripped the zipper up so badly that it completely ruined my cooler bag! So not good. And the little shit had the audacity to sit there, eating my Sensible Portion S'mores cookies right in front of me (apparently he has to watch what he eats with such a smorgasbord of options every day, fat bastard). I'm pretty sure that he was laughing at a decibel level that I just couldn't hear. Savage, I tell you. Completely savage.















As we were walking away, my friend Lisa noticed that her girls' bag of Pirates Booty had been ravaged also. Forget the tigers! Watch out for those sneaky savage squirrels!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

so funny! you crack me up! "little bastard!"

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the time we went camping at Salt Springs and we thought the squirrels around the campsite were so cute? Then when we came back from fishing we saw that they had made a hole in the tent and eaten all our bread! That is why your Dad looks like a mad man everytime he sees a squirrel on our patio screen...have you seen him with the BB gun?

heather said...

I have also heard about attacking seagulls at a cafe near the flamingos. The SF zoo seems to need to control their wildlife. :)