Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring!

Not sure if it's the gorgeous 70 degree weather outside, the fact that today is officially the first day of spring, or the really great workout I got in this morning, but something is giving me energy and bringing out my inner Martha Stewart.

Instead of the standard rotation of peanut butter and jelly, meat and cheese sandwich, corn dog, hot dog, cheese and crackers, and even just your plain run of the mill quesadilla this afternoon, I decided to spice it up a little. For the kids, I put diced tomatoes, corn and bell peppers in with the cheese in their quesadillas. For mine, I diced up some roasted red peppers (roasted by me nonetheless) with some diced tomatoes and used whole wheat tortillas. Mmmmmm. I added some black bean soup on the side and it made a very filling and yummy lunch for everyone!


After lunch, we went outside for Morgan to practice her tennis, for Bennett to play in the sandbox and for me to do some weeding. While I was out there, I noticed how pretty my camellias are looking in bloom. I cut some, Morgan picked some lemons and this is the result that is now adorning my dining room table.


For dinner, I had tilapia in the refrigerator. When I wasn't satisfied with any recipes I was finding on allrecipes.com, I decided to make up my own. It actually turned out great! I pan "fried" the tilapia in olive oil and garlic and then put together a caper wine sauce (wine, garlic, capers, lemon juice and a little bit of butter). I even made some homemade garlic mashed potatoes that were a big hit with the under 6 crowd. Delicious!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

i had to re-post my comment because i spelled something wrong.
anyway, i made talapia tonight too. told collin it was chicken nuggets and he chowed down. great martha recipe.

heather said...

wow. You go Martha! I love that my blogging friends can cook so I can steal their ideas. That's something that my creativity has never crossed boundaries on. Oh, and I'm jealous you can PICK lemons.