Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stroller shopping and shoe swapping

Today I went with my friend Melissa in search of the perfect double stroller since she is due with #2 in May. Now, some people might thing that it's a little strange that I might want to tag along on a trip like this, but some people wouldn't know with my near fetish with regards to strollers.

I love strollers. I have owned no less than eight strollers in the past five plus years and have many opinions on the subject matter. Finding the perfect stroller is like finding the holy grail. Requirements are simple. Small but roomy. Sturdy, but lightweight. Fashionable and functional. Easy, right? Hardly! See, it seems that, much like shoes, there is a stroller for every season and reason. Going to the mall? You might want one particular kind of stroller. Airplane? Another. How about a trip to the zoo? Or worse, Disneyland! Yes, as you can see, there are many different needs in these different scenarios and I have yet to find the end all be all stroller for every occasion. Though, my current Chicco stroller comes pretty close. Only, it's just for one kid. Those with two kids, closer in age, have yet different needs.

When I started talking strollers with Melissa a few months ago, I was googling and looking at product specifications galore. Many a late night was spent with her and I on Facebook swapping stroller links while Lance looked over at me with suspicious eyes. I had to repeatedly tell him that I was not purchasing a stroller. Just simply looking. FOR MELISSA!

When she narrowed down her choices, I encouraged her to go try them in person. I mean, how else can you really tell what they are like, but to put them in your hands and wheel them around. Feel their graceful movement or their clumsy collapsing. I graciously offered my assistance, because would you decline a trip to the shoe store? I didn't think so. That's how it is with me and strollers.

We went down to San Jose to one of the few stores that actually had a Joovy Caboose in stock. We had Clare and Bennett ride around in all kinds of strollers and they thought that was all kinds of fun! When that was over, the decided to take their shoes off. And apparently Bennett thought Clare's Pedipeds were too cute to not try on. :)

Good times!

No comments: