Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy 40th Anniversary!

Today is my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. Seriously, that's like four DECADES. And if you knew them, you might be surprised that they've made it this long. Except the thing is, they are committed. They love each other and they work through things like a difference in opinion of the actual temperature that should be considered "room temperature" or where golf balls should be placed when not in use. When I spoke to them on the phone earlier today, we each repeated the same thing - it's a rare thing these days. I really think this is so true.

So many couples are so eager to go their separate ways. I'm noticing this the older I get (I guess the older I get, the more married couples I know, the longer they've been married and the more divorces we see). It's as if marriage is to be this magical thing that never has any road bumps or problems. Heck, Lance and I have been married for nine years, ten this year, and we've certainly had our share even in the short time frame we've been together. Yes, there were times when I thought about how hard it is, and it really can be. Other times? It's so easy. But, I guess when you have the role models I had growing up, you know how important family is and you know that marriage is actually a verb. It means you have to do things. You have to work at it if you want it to be good. And just like anything in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! Thanks for getting married and for setting the bar! ;-)

3 comments:

melissa said...

Happy anniversary to them! My parents will hit the big 40 this year, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, sweetie! I'm glad we got married also, and had two wonderful children and four amazing grandchildren!!

Lara said...

Congrats Paige's Mom and Dad!