Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A new recipe

I've been trying to create a new meal each week, something I've never cooked for my family before. In preparation for my being gone all weekend long, leaving the family behind, I figured I would cook almost every night this week, leaving them with plenty of leftovers for the weekend. (Awww, what a nice wife, right??)

Anyway, I had planned to roast a chicken, giving the possibility of three meals with one roasting. Instead of doing the standard chicken noodle soup and goat cheese pasta dish that I've been doing, I decided to try a new recipe from Cooking Light for an Enchilada casserole. Now, I've NEVER made anything like this before, so I was a little leery. Then, the recipe called for Great Northern Beans. I went to the grocery store, fully expecting to see a can labeled "Great Northern Beans". When I didn't see that, I decided I'd have to wing it. I picked up two cans of pinto beans, knowing that I had cans of black beans, garbanzo beans, cannelini beans, and kidney beans at home. Come to find out that the Fabulous Northern Beans are nothing but smaller cannelini beans. I had one can of "white beans" which appeared to be smaller cannelini beans and another can of just regular cannelini beans. That would have to do!

The recipe entailed a lot of prep work, which took up most of nap time. But, it baked in the afternoon and I got to spend time with the kids during those witching hours between 4 and 6. That part was nice! It turned out a little spicier than I expected, but everyone really seemed to like it! Hooray for new recipes!

No comments: