Thursday, January 15, 2009

Five life lessons from a five year old

1. You can pass judgments on someone you don't even know just from hearsay.

One of the kids in Morgan's class is moving and tomorrow is his last day. They are anticipating a new girl coming in his place next week. One of the girls in Morgan's class apparently told Morgan that she knows the new girl. That she goes to school with her sister. And that she gets in trouble every day. So, Morgan has now labeled the new girl a troublemaker. It took less than a minute to straighten her out. I told her that she doesn't know this girl, doesn't know her friend's sister and doesn't even know if it's the same girl, so she shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement!

2. Whoever you like the best always tells the truth.

Morgan reported today that one of the boys in her class, we'll call him J, told a lie today. She said that he hit another little boy in the arm. Surprised, I asked Morgan if she had seen it happen. No. Even more surprised, I asked how she knew that he was lying. She said because J said he didn't do it and the other little boy, A, said that he did. I asked her how she knew what happened and she said she knew because she believed A.

I gave her an example of how, maybe Bennett might tell me that she pushed him down. She tells me that she doesn't, but I believe Bennett even though I don't see it. I asked her if she thought that was fair. Obviously, she did not. But, just for good measure, she added, "Well, you know Bennett has lied before!" LOL

3. A five year old has the right to bet and wager her brand new mp3 player to a friend.

Morgan informed me that she made a bet at school with her friend. She has to give her her mp3 player for 6 days. I quickly told her that would be happening over my dead body and that if she'd like to blame it on her wicked-witch-of-a-mother, then so be it.

4. We must buy presents for anyone who's having a birthday.

One of the kids in Morgan's class is having a birthday, so she is bringing cupcakes in to share with the class. Morgan "reminds" me that we need to buy her a present. After I shake the shock off my face, I informed her that we can't possibly buy presents for everyone in her class. I tried my best to explain the social etiquette for when it is appropriate and when it's not necessary. This one is a little tricky. I knew she didn't hear anything I said after "no" when she informed me that her friend was not going to be upset.

5. It's odd that people who look alike congregate together.

I will admit, that a large percentage of the people at the park today were Indian in their ethnicity. But, what exactly caused my daughter to not only point it out, but to comment that it's "weird" is beyond me. I quickly and quietly explained to her that while it was true that a lot of the people that were there were Indian, there was nothing weird about that. I mean, what does one even say to a comment like that??

No comments: