Sunday, January 25, 2009

Retail therapy

I got up with the kids this morning, and while they seem to be dripping with sweetness and baby breath in the morning, it's really just a facade. Because no sooner had we started the day, then they were fighting, whining, and complaining. After I herded the cats in and out of the bath, through getting dressed and all, we headed off to church. Now, I admit I was a little late getting there since I had to stop for gas, but it appears that ALL of the classes were closed to more kids since they were short on volunteers. Not having many options, I thought I'd give it a shot in the Parents' Room, where the kids could be with me and I could participate in the worship service by watching it on the TV in there. Except that's hard to do with a 2 year old. Sure, Morgan was fine and even Bennett wasn't THAT bad, but I wanted him where I could see him, so I found myself having to get up and down and chasing him all over the room. I wasn't really able to focus. Then there was the mom who was sitting to my right who was letting her son run ALL OVER the room and making LOTS of REALLY LOUD noises. I understand that it was not a good situation for her either, but SERIOUSLY?? Why would you allow your kid to be that loud when other people are trying to pay attention??

Finally we gave up and I gathered the kids to leave. As soon as we walked out of the room, I got to catch a glimpse of the Academy Award that is surely in the future for both of my children. Morgan immediately turned on the water works at the exact same moment that Bennett decided to run away from me, glance back with a mischievous look when I yelled STOP! and then continued to run with a little smirk on his face. Oh, yes. These are my lovely children. I'm pretty sure my third head was sticking out when I was exiting the building and looking for a place to leave my offering.

I couldn't make it home fast enough, particularly with the bickering and complaining in the car on the way home. The first words out of my lips when I walked in the door were, "I AM DONE!!". Now, a few things surprised my husband. First was how early we were home from church. He was in the middle of a re-wiring project when I walked in. Second, my general tossing my hands up in the air and promptly handing the kids off to him, when he was in no way prepared for it. He's no dummy and could read between the lines and promptly stepped in while I tried to regain my sanity.

I emailed my friend Melissa and asked her if she might be up for some shopping. A little while later, I got a text from her asking if I wanted to go shop during nap time. I couldn't type the letters Y-E-S fast enough. Funny thing is, she hadn't even gotten my email yet! Guess she was feeling my desperate "retail therapy" vibes coming across the cosmos. :) I picked her up a little after 2 and we had three glorious hours of kid-free shopping. Nobody to reprimand, nobody to keep an eye on, nothing to worry about except whether or not the hat at the Gap would fit my son's bobble head. It was pure bliss.

Funny thing is, when I got home, Morgan was all about spending time with me since I had been gone. She came over to me and sat on my lap and gave me hugs and kisses. Until then, Bennett had barely noticed I was there. But, once the hugs and kisses were being doled out, he was right there up in the mix.

See? Retail therapy works!

No comments: