Monday, January 12, 2009

A son

My very good friend, Melissa, found out today that she is going to be having a son in May. A son! She is a little nervous and in shock, even though she had a feeling it was going to be a boy. I remember this feeling all too well! I remember finding out in December, two years ago, that we would soon be evening out the gender wars within our house. I remember feeling so many mixed feelings. Feeling so blessed to have a healthy baby, and a boy to experience at that. Feeling lost when I considered what having a boy would entail. Different body parts, sports, cars, voice changes, girlfriends, and eventually - becoming a MOTHER IN LAW! What do I even know about these things? I'm a girl's girl. I like my toes painted and my lipstick on. I like shopping and chocolate and wearing cute clothes. I'd much rather spend time chit chatting with friends than looking at cars. What the heck do I know about a raising a boy?

I think this must be a common feeling that first-time-moms-of-boys must feel. I mean, after all, most of us learn to parent by watching our mothers. We know the relationship between a mother and her daughter. We know how to do slumber parties and when you need a bra. We know all about that time of month and how emotional it really is to just BE a girl. I'm convinced that is why boys come out LOVING their mommas. I know Morgan loves me, and she's a very affectionate girl. The bond we have always had is very special. It's that mother-daughter one that I still hold so dearly with my own mother.

But to a young boy, there's no stronger bond than that between him and him momma. The expression "Momma's Boy" has taken on a new, less negative meaning to me. Boys are cuddly when girls want to be independent. Boys are straightforward when girls need to be complex. And boys eat. Oh man, do they eat! So, if you ever have to figure out something to settle them down, there's always a good chance that food can do the job.

Now, I don't love the part where we have to go through all the various types of trucks/tractors/trailers on a regular basis. If I have to read Monster Trucks one more time, I may very well rip my hair out. I am constantly baffled by the inherent mechanics of the boy's mind to draw him to anything round-like in nature that might need to be thrown. Or why he gets so excited when he sees airplanes or trains. Can't he at least throw me a bone and get equally excited over the big sale at Macy's??

Although I wanted to have a girl and a boy, I never could picture myself being the mother of a boy. Now I can't picture not having a little boy in my life. They are truly special! And while I've still got a lot of uncharted territory ahead of me, I know that it will be okay, because him and I? Well, we kind of have this thing.

Lately, with Bennett rejecting me in preference to just about anyone else, it's nice to remember that beneath it all, he's still just a momma's boy. :)

No comments: