Thursday, January 8, 2009

The new math, aka "The Chicken Experiment"

Attention idiot employers of my husband: You may be able to take 20% of our monthly pay, but you cannot take away my ability to stretch a dollar! Here's our new math:

$27.10 for 28 servings = $0.97 per serving!

Roasted chicken with potatoes and salad

1 whole chicken ~$6
15 small red potatoes ~$1
20 baby carrots ~ $0.25
2 lemons ~ free from my tree
fresh rosemary ~ free from my bushes
1 head of romaine lettuce ~ $0.50
2 tomatoes ~ $1

4 Servings ~ $7.85






Chicken noodle soup, salad, and cornbread muffins


Meat from roasted chicken ~ Free
Broth ~ Free, made from roasted chicken
1 bunch of celery ~$0.80
6 carrots ~ $2
1 lb rotini pasta ~ $1.50
fresh flat leaf parsley ~$0.50
fresh minced garlic ~ $0.10
spices ~ free from my cabinet
cornmeal ~ $1
milk ~$0.25
butter ~0.25
1 head of romaine lettuce ~$0.50
2 tomatoes ~$1

16 Servings!! ~ $7.90


Goat cheese chicken pasta with roasted red peppers and artichokes

Chicken ~ Free from roasted chicken
1 lb. bow tie pasta ~$1.50
1 can artichokes ~$2
1 can sliced olives ~$1
1 jar roasted red peppers ~$3.50
fresh sliced mushrooms ~$0.25
goat cheese ~$3
olive oil ~ free from my cabinet
fresh minced garlic ~ $0.10

8 Servings ~ $11.35




Woohoo! I am woman. Hear me roar!

6 comments:

melissa said...

Very impressive! But I could save you a ton on those jarred red peppers. Roast your own - it's easy ;-) I can show you the bag trick for peeling them, if you don't know it already.

Work in Progress said...

I'm always intimated by roasting peppers and baking bread for some reason. Please show me! :)

melissa said...

EASY! No problem. We'll go over it next time I see you.

Lara said...

Or you can buy the jar cheaper by using a method explained on couponmom.com. Seriously, though how big is that chicken. Thank you for supplying the recipes also. I am working on cooking on a budget also. Go Paige you rock!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, chica! That pasta especially good :)

Melissa said...

i'm making the goat cheese thingie tonight!