Sunday, January 18, 2009

Me time

I've gotten an unusually supple amount of "me" time this weekend. Friday night was date night, Saturday I had a baby shower and then coffee with a friend after, and then today I spent the majority of the afternoon painting a ceramic plate with a friend. Whenever this happens, part of me starts feeling guilty over not spending more of that time with the kids or my husband. Part of me feels guilty about being so self-centered. But mostly, I'm thankful that I have a husband to go out on a date with, friends who want to hang out with me, and a husband who will take charge of the kids when I need or want to get out.

I have a lot of girl friends who have to practically barter for time out of the house without kids. I understand that you don't want someone to be taken advantage of, and that everyone needs their time alone, but really? A lot of times, these are the women that need it the most. One woman I know is the mother of a six year old, a three year old and a less than one year old. She practically NEVER gets out on her own. I just can't imagine! I guess I can't fathom it because I have always been and will always be a very independent person. Just as much as I enjoy going out on my own and being a woman and not a mother or even a wife, I know my husband enjoys the same. For example, he told me he wanted to get some geocaching in this weekend. Well, I took the kids to the park for three hours this morning/afternoon to give him the time he needed. We give and we take. It all works out in the end, and I have to believe it makes us all happier.

It almost makes the disastrous house and bickering kids seem manageable.

No comments: