Monday, January 5, 2009

A little chat

Right before bed tonight, Morgan was helping to empty the waste basket from her bedroom. With a very serious look on her face, she asks, "Mom, can we have a little chat?"

Me, curious, from the couch, "Sure, come on over and sit down."
Morgan sits down next to me and looks at me with a very serious look. A very serious look indeed. And she says, "I couldn't help but notice that you have thrown out some of my school work"

At this point, I cannot contain myself. I'm laughing hysterically and so is Lance. First at being approached by my FIVE YEAR OLD to have a "little chat". And then being chastised for throwing out her school work. If you saw the amount of work these kids bring home every. single. day, well then you might have an idea of why some of it might accidentally end up in the trash can.

I'm the kind of girl who would very much love to open a card, read it and then promptly toss it in the trash. I hang on to a few sentimental things here and there, but for the most part, once I've seen it, it's served it's purpose. No need to have it hanging around, wasting space and mental energy any longer.

I'm just glad that the laughter distracted Morgan from the cold hard reality that even though she may work very hard on all her school work, we can't possibly keep it all. She's just lucky that stuff made it to her room. Most of it gets tossed as soon as it gets unpacked from her backpack. Speaking of which, MAYBE I should quit throwing stuff out in her room. Hmmmm.

In the past few days, I've noticed a disturbing trend that my daughter is exhibiting. Her behavior is becoming more and more like her father. First it was her freaking out over how the elastic in her empire waist shirt didn't feel good, then it was how "tight" her sleeves were on her shirt were. Yesterday, she was looking for something that was, literally, RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER FACE. Someone please tell me that she is not going to become a pack rat. I will be unable to handle that.

1 comment:

Lara said...

Chenoa is the same way. I give her a large folder to keep school work in for memories for the whole year. She is constanly going through it to decide what is most important. It's really hard for her to throw all that work away. Poor girl!