Thursday, April 23, 2009

Calling all moms

Tonight we had a moms night out. We are having the playgroups sponsor the night outs, so you at least know there are going to be some people there and so that those people will be hanging out with people they already know, even if no one else shows up. Which is a good thing. Since NOBODY SHOWS UP! I just don't get it. Apparently I'll never get it. I'm a social person - love going out and doing things with my family and friends. I would think that at least 10% of a group of women would be something like me. Or at least have a desire to get out of the house at night for some time with other moms, not having to worry about who your child is pushing or what they have their tongue on.

So tonight, my playgroup was sponsoring the moms night out. We planned a night out at the bowling alley and looked for a date that would work for everyone in our playgroup. We planned it and a grand total of FOUR people, including me showed up. Now, I do realize that things come up and people can't always follow through with their intentions, and I'm not mad or upset about it. I'm just more baffled. I mean, if you were to talk to the women in the moms club, they would tell you how much they need a girls night out. I'm confident that it would be at least 75% of the women that would say that yes, they need a girls night out. But when it comes down to it, they don't come.

Now, we still had a great time. In fact, we were so busy talking that we had a hard time remembering who's turn it was to bowl. Heck, Melissa, who is super pregnant, wasn't even bowling and still came just to hang out. In fact, due to her influences, we ended up at Chili's splitting some chips and queso and molten lava cake. We closed the place down chatting about everything from our kids, to our in laws and relatives to facebook.

I've been trying to figure it out for the past four or five years that I've been on the board for the moms club. We've tried various things to make it easier (later evening coffee and conversation, a movie where you don't have to have awkward conversations, free hiking, dinners and brand new restaurants, etc) and the turn out is always consistently low. We've checked with surrounding mothers clubs, those that have five times as many members and percentage wise, they are having about the same kind of turn out as we are.

I just don't get it. Don't these moms need to get out? I mean, it could be that they are able to get out regularly with their husbands, but even still - don't they want to hang out with their mom friends? I know I love bouncing stuff off of my mom friends. And that story about how Bennett got a hold of the lighter is way much more fun to tell over a margarita or two.

If you are a mom, please let me know -- do you get out regularly? Do you get out with other moms? If so, why do you do it. If not, why? What would make it easier or better to get out? Inquiring minds want to know!

1 comment:

emily said...

I have every intention of wanting to go out with mom friends more, but I probably only do it once every 2-3 months. There is always so much stuff to do around here that I feel guilty taking time for me.