Thursday, July 17, 2008

The best laid plans...

I was very excited to bring the kids back to the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito. We went last summer, when Bennett was just a newborn and it was sooo cool. I knew both of them would have a blast this year. I had everything prepared last night, so that we could just get dressed, eat breakfast and then get out the door. I had planned to wake up around 7ish to start the process, so when Bennett woke up around 6:45 this morning, I just got up and got the day started.

Having showered and put my clothes out the night before, I just needed to get up, get dressed, throw some make-up on and I'd be ready to go. It took me all of 15 minutes to do this and make the bed. I headed downstairs to get Bennett up. He had soaked through his diaper (which is probably why he woke up early), so I went ahead and got him dressed in the clothes I had picked out yesterday. During this time, Morgan also woke up, so I asked her to get dressed in the clothes that had already been picked out. By 8:15, both kids were dressed! Breakfast time! Morgan wanted cereal and Bennett wanted pancakes. No problemo. With the kids eating, I scarf down my breakfast and start packing up the car. Lunches that were packed last night, check. Diaper bag that was stocked with a week's worth of snacks, check. DVD player for Morgan to watch on the way there (so as to avoid so many "when are we going to be there?" questions), check.

Everything is packed in the car and Bennett is still sitting there in his highchair. With THE look on his face. One I know all too well. I now understand it to mean, "Mom, I'm sitting in a big steamy nasty pile of poop". So I get him cleaned up and take him to his room to change his diaper, only to discover that there is poop peeking out the leg of his diaper. And smeared on his shorts. Of course, pulling the shorts off a fidgety child like mine only makes things worse. By this time, he has poop smeared all the way down his leg. And junk in his JUNK, if you know what I mean.

If you have a little boy, you will know what is coming next. They just can't resist checking things out during the diaper changes, and of course, with JUNK on your JUNK.....yeah, well. So, now I'm freaking out that my child has POOP FINGERS. I don't think I've ever grabbed a wipe so fast, but I wipe his hands just as a temporary measure until I can get him cleaned up enough for a bath. Yes, that's when you know it's bad. When you have to clean them up for a bath. Of course, while I'm getting his lower region cleaned up, I'm battling this stubborn one of mine to PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR MOUTH. Too late! Trying not to gag, I bring my poop machine into the bathroom, where Morgan has so helpfully pulled out the baby soap and towel and all. Bathtime takes care of the poop and then I get him dressed. Again. In an outfit that I didn't pick out last night.

Of course, with all the excitement, Morgan had forgotten about getting her teeth brushed and shoes on and by this time, I'm ready to leave. NOW. If you know me, you know that when I'm ready to go, it's time to go. Which doesn't always mesh well with a five year old's pace. But, we finally made it out the door, about an hour later than we could have. Had I not needed to improvise on my very carefully planned morning.

Just goes to show me...

But, we got there, had a great time and I have lots of great pictures. Coming soon!

No comments: