Friday, July 18, 2008

I need to look at these pictures every day



These pictures make days like today a little more bearable. If I'm reminded that while neither of my children may be very good at showing gratitude, they do seem to have a good time when I take them to places like I did yesterday.








Today, with nothing on the agenda, I planned a low-key day at home. Play time with the kids, getting stuff done around the house, laundry, etc. Except that the five-year-old decided to whine and complain all day about what she's RATHER be doing. Then, she and her co-hort, the fifteen-month-old, decided to UNDO everything I was doing. Oh, are you on the phone? Shall I start SCREAMING? What, Mom? Are you trying to fold laundry? Well let me start pulling it off of the table where you've placed it, all neatly folded. What is that, you are trying to do? Clean the floors in my room? Maybe I should then bring all possible toys out and into your way.

THEN, after barely making it through lunch, I got them both down for their naps and had *just* finished mopping the entry way and kitchen floors when the doorbell rings and the Comcast guy shows up to take a look at the cable modem I had called about earlier. Wanna know where that is? In the closet in Bennett's room. Yeah, nice placement. So, obviously this ushered in the end of Bennett's nap and then I had to spend the rest of the time the Comcast guy was here trying to keep Bennett out of his tools, out of his way, and most importantly, out of the hole in the floor of his closet that leads to the crawlspace under the house. Just as the Comcast guy left, guess who got up? Yep, so now they were both up.

In some sort of self-defense move, I decided that we'd just go over to the club early for Morgan's swim lessons. After MUCH herding, some timeouts, Morgan getting sent to her room for slamming the door in Bennett's face and some stern talking (read: yelling), we got in the car and were headed over to the club. I was actually looking forward to the blessed half hour that Morgan would be occupied by her class and Bennett would be in the nursery. I even brought a book to read! We get there and drop Bennett off at the nursery and head out to the pool. And NO ONE is there. Yep, no swim lessons on Fridays. Seems I recall that, now that I think about it. Load the kids back home and consider locking myself in my bedroom when we get home to get through the next 45 minutes or so before I need to start dinner.

No such luck. Bennett's into everything, Morgan is back to her room and there's still stuff I needed to get done that I couldn't get done at nap time (hard to do when there's hardly a nap time). Then it's time to cook dinner and by this time, I'm thinking that as soon as Lance walks in the door, I just might walk out. I actually packed up a bag to go work out. Except that when I actually get a chance to sit down and eat dinner, I realize how extremely tired I am.

How can this be? What did I do today?

Everything I didn't get done yesterday because I took the kids on the all day excursion yesterday. And just like that, it's all forgotten. The good times, the fun we had, the smiles on their faces. Because "she took my toy" and "I promise to share" and "I'll touch this thing you told me 10000 times before not to touch" is all that I can remember now. Good thing I took so many pictures. :)

No comments: