Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Slow down, baby!

My baby is getting so big. I can't slow him down. I want him to happily swing on the swing at the park and be satisfied with just that. I'd love it if he'd quit trying to climb the stairs and slide down the slide. Because that's something that big boys do. And he's my baby. On the one hand, it is nice to see him able to tackle the stairs (both up and down) on his own, since it makes things much safer and in a lot of ways, easier. Still, he's my baby.

This morning, I packed a lunch and we headed off to Morgan's soccer practice. It's on a field right next to a playground, so after her practice is over, we often hang out at the park and play for a little bit. I thought it would be nice to have a picnic lunch as well. So, we sit there. Eating our sandwiches. All of us. He's sitting between me and Morgan and he just looks like a KID. Sitting there at the picnic bench, sandwich in hand, watching the kids play. Where did my baby go?

Yesterday was a different situation all together. He was miserable from teething; trying to break through two teeth at once on the bottom. Flushed cheeks, cranky as all get out and just wanting to be held. And that's what I did. I held him. Because I could and because he wanted it and needed it. It's not going to be much longer when he doesn't want to be held at all. After his nap yesterday, it was just the two of us (Morgan was over at a friends' house for a play date), so we sat on the couch, drinking water and eating snack. He was sitting next to me, holding my hand. Then he'd lean into me and say "Mama" with just the right tone that *I* knew what he meant. He was telling me he loves me. I would tell him I love him too and he'd smile his cheesy grin at me and then sit back, holding my hand.

Today, he's back to his normal, independent self. Climbing the play structure and sliding down slides. Pointing out trash and calling it "nasty". He is quite the handful at this age, but he's so much fun. I want to soak in every moment of it.

I try so hard to make memories with the kids. Seems like I especially do this with him -- I don't know if we'll have any more kids. I'm taking the snapshots of the moments. Taking in the sights, sounds and smells. I don't want to forget them at this age. Not even the tantrums. Because tomorrow, I'll look back and wonder where this time went.

It's really funny, I've met so many people lately and we'll get to talking about our kids. Inevitably, they will ask their ages. "Oh, I just love five-year-olds!" or "That whole one year to two year stage is the best!" and while I may have had a horrible morning, or maybe the kids are on my last nerve, I try to remember that one day, I'm going to think the same thing. So I better enjoy it while it lasts. Because tomorrow, it will be gone.

No comments: