Sunday, July 13, 2008

Seeking responsible person for time alone with hubby

Please do not alert the responsible parent society, but we have been out, sans kids, for TWO whole nights this week. That's right. We just ditched them and went out on the town. Not once, but TWICE. Thursday to the fondue place and last night for a couples game night. We thoroughly enjoyed both nights out, especially since they are so few and far between.

With no grandparents in town to dote on the kids when we want some time alone, Lance and I have to use our babysitter time preciously. To add to the complication, my niece who has been our primary babysitter is now working. And on SATURDAY nights, too. I know! She totally didn't even consult us on her plans! How dare she! ;) So, now comes to the time to find another, probably not-related-to-us babysitter. That is, if we ever want to go out alone. And trust me, we aren't like these other parents that would really rather be at home with the kids. We like to go out, just the two of us.

The thing is? I really don't know how to find the right babysitter. Especially now that we have two kids with varying needs. I've always relied on my niece, some friends, or just waiting until grandma was in town. But I just think that we're gonna have to bite the bullet and just find a somewhat standing babysitter. I'm not even sure the best way to do this. Do I put some sort of ad out there? Married parents seek responsible, fun, smart, loving, inexpensive person who is available at our beck and call to watch our sassy daughter and therapy-inducing son. Oh yeah. I can practically hear them pounding down the door as we speak.

Why can't I find someone like ME when I was in high school? Oh man, I was good. I sought out parents who needed babysitters. Yeah. I'd see bikes in the front yard and think "BINGO!" I even got a standing job that way with some parents who lived down the street from us. Every Saturday night, I got paid, whether they went out or not. Just for the dependability of having me available. Now, I certainly can't afford an arrangement like that, especially not with the cost of a good sitter these days, but oh man. Once a month, even, would be nice.

An option that Lance offered was to put them in the nursery at the tennis club and relax on some comfy couches there and just hang out. How sad are we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Care.com last week. Still waiting for a response. Tonya

Anonymous said...

I would SO swap babysitting nights with you.

email me if interested!