Saturday, July 26, 2008

Smarter than the average squirrel

We've been getting together with incoming Kindergarteners for the school that Morgan is starting in a month (insert panic!). This morning, we met them at the usual park and the kids were off and having fun. Suddenly, word came that a DEAD SQUIRREL had been spotted over under one of the big trees. A dead squirrel definitely trumps the swing, so Morgan ran over to Lance and asked him if she could go look at the dead squirrel. Not sure what "our" position is on admiring dead animals, Lance told Morgan that she would have to ask me.

I'm standing there, discussing the start of school with a group of moms when Morgan shouts out at me, "Mom, can I go over and play with Charlie?". I look over and see Charlie hanging out under a tree and turn around and tell her, "sure". What, am I going to tell her she CAN'T go play with one of her new friends? I thought that was the end of it, because I was unaware of the conversation between Morgan and Lance. Later, he revealed to me the depths of our daughter's sneakiness.

You see, Charlie was over by the dead squirrel. And instead of asking me if she could go over to the dead squirrel, she asked if she could go play with Charlie. She's no dummy, that girl.

Lance did tell her later that while she thinks she got away with something, she's not going to pull that one again.

With a smirk on her face, Morgan responds, "what do you mean pull?"

No comments: