Saturday, July 26, 2008

Camping out at home

Most weeks, I have stuff planned to get the kids out of the house nearly every day of the week. It's just so much easier to keep them busy, rather than dealing with the tantrums and hitting and fighting that eventually surfaces when kept indoors too much. I do usually reserve a day for hanging out at home so I can try to get some stuff done. More often than not, I'm talked into going to the park or going swimming, or whatever the activity du jour is. This is all fine and good, but I also think that sometimes it's good for the kids to just hang out at home. And use their imagination. And figure out how to play together. Sometimes nicely, sometimes not.

Yesterday was a day like that. I literally did not leave the house. I can't remember a day when I did that. We did, at least, play outside at the sand table and exploring the yard, but we didn't leave our address. And even though I was asked repeatedly where we were going, I stuck to my guns and we just hung out at home. You want to know what they did??

They camped! Lance bought these miniature tents a couple years ago from Woot. Morgan played with hers for a while after we first got them, but Bennett, of course, hasn't had a chance. He enjoyed going "night night" in it, but didn't really care for it when Morgan zipped him in there. Morgan was all about that they were camping and went and got food from the play kitchen for them to cook over the fire. It was very cute! Please excuse the dark video - it was "night time" at the old camping spot and no lights were allowed on. :)








While they were camping, I was able to change their sheets, dust their rooms, clean out and reorganize the hall closet and get laundry going. Which leads me to the following question for you.

Which of these are Morgan's and which are Bennett's?

Not that you can tell by SIZE, but the ones on the right are Bennett's and they are size 6-12 months. The ones on the left are Morgan's. Size 5T. *shrugs* Why must the girl's shorts be so small and the boys shorts be so big?? Just curious.

After camping was over (read: Bennett got tired of being zipped up in the tent), it was outside for some fresh air while I swept up the courtyard and porch and weeded the front yard. The kids played with chalk, played in the sand table and threw balls around. Lunch time came next and then nap time. I took the opportunity during nap time to call and make myself an appointment for the spa tomorrow. After nap time, it was the witching hours until dinner. Bennett has two teeth coming in on the bottom right now (finally we get some more - he has had six since February) and he's just got the devil in him. He was alternating between throwing his sippy cup at stuff, hitting Morgan and climbing up on stuff. The boy exhausts me. :) I'm sure we'll all be happy when his teeth come in. Even the dog.

No comments: