Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just call me cranky

I'm not sure if it's the manner in which I woke up this morning, or just the general progression of the day, but I'm tired and outright cranky. I guess everyone deserves their "moment".

My day started with my heart jumping into the pit of my stomach when I roll over and peek through my eyes and see a face staring back at me. I had no indications that she was sitting there, STARING at me while I was sleeping. I didn't hear a thing. But, there she was, nevertheless. I gasped while I tried to collect myself and then said, "Morgan, you SCARED me!". And then, she does what all five year old girls do in these types of situations, she started CRYING.

Sob, sob. "I can't reach the Goooogurts!" Sob, sob. "They are on the top shelf and I can't reach them!!!" Sob, sob. "I'm sooo huuuuungry!!! I'm STARVING!". Sob, sob.

Realizing that her reaction couldn't be merely about freaking Gogurt, I asked her why she was crying. She told me she didn't know. I asked her if she was upset about scaring me and she nodded that she was. So, I asked her if she wanted to climb into bed with me and she jumped in with a big grin on her face. We snuggled for a minute and then I rolled over to attempt to go back to sleep.

"Mooommmaaa!! You are pulling the covers!!"

Time to get up, I suppose.

Since Bennett wasn't awake yet, I opted to get dressed for the gym and pack my gym bag before heading downstairs. I stepped on the scale, as I do most mornings, and discovered to my horror that I'm actually GAINING WEIGHT. What the heck? I have been watching what I eat and definitely getting enough exercise. I don't get it. Whatever. Morgan helped me make the bed and then we went down and got her beloved Gogurt from the top of Mount Everest. She downed that in 0.7 seconds and then wanted cereal. I fixed her cereal and then started cutting up a cantaloupe for myself and Bennett. Of course she wanted some of that (she has to always have whatever someone else is having - drives me batty!). I put some in a bowl for her, wash blueberries for Bennett, and start toasting a leftover waffle for him. Since there was fresh coffee already made (in our new supersonic coffee maker who's grinder woke me up at 5:30 this morning - YES IT IS ACTUALLY THAT LOUD, I WILL BE RETURNING IT), I pour myself a cup of goodness.

By this time, the dog is practically crossing her legs while whining, so I pop an English muffin in the toaster for myself and go let her out. I quickly check email (and Facebook, of course). Then I hear Bennett, so I go get him up, dress him, and then let the dog back in. Back to the kitchen where I get Bennett set up with his breakfast and can finally sit down to eat mine.

Only, I don't get to do it in peace since there's always a kid needing something. And then there's the gentle (or not so gentle) persuading of them to PLEASE EAT because Momma really needs to make the 9am spin class. Once I'm done eating, I pull together the bag of stuff for playgroup, which consists of sunscreen, swimsuits and various water toys since we were going to a park that has water stuff. I get together the regular diaper bag with playgroup snacks plus the "lite" version that goes with the kids to the Nursery at the club.

The kids are done eating and now it's time to get Morgan dressed and her hair fixed. She, surprisingly enough, gets dressed with no arguing and brings me her hair bin to fix her hair, with me only having to ask once. While watching Bennett walk from one thing he's not supposed to get into, to another, and answering his "no-no" with a "That's right, that's a no-no!", I get Morgan's hair up in a pony tail. We get shoes on everyone and then we schlep it all out to the car - two kids, four bags and a mom who's not really sure what she was thinking.

But, we make it to the club in time to get everyone settled in -- Bennett to the nursery and Morgan to kid fit -- and I even find a nice spot in the spin class BEFORE the class is starting. I see a few friends and chat them up while we wait for class to start and then our instructor walks in and it's the infamous instructor from my very first sculpt-stretch-tone class. Oh joy. I push myself for an entire hour (this is all terrain cycling -- lots of sprints and hills) and my legs are burning. But this is no time to relax. Playgroup starts in 30 minutes and I need to take a shower!

15 minute shower, quick makeup and pulling the hair back and then I'm off to pick the kids up (Morgan from the gym, Bennett from the nursery) and head off to playgroup. Text the ladies I'm meeting to let them know we are on our way and then we hit traffic on the way there. Argh!

We finally make it there, 30 minutes late. I pack up the diaper bag, the beach bag with swimsuits and the bag of toys and also a present that I have been trying to give to one of the moms for about a month! I get it all in, on, and attached to the stroller and we get over to where everyone is. Just as I'm about to get Morgan into her swimsuit, she tells me she has to go potty.

OF COURSE SHE DOES!

So, I run her to the bathroom while the other moms keep an eye on Bennett (who is restrained in the stroller, thankfully). We get back, and I get Morgan in her swimsuit with sunscreen on and then send her off to play. Bennett is next -- swim diaper, sunscreen and swimsuit and he's off to play. And just as I'm about to sit down and relax for the first time today, Morgan comes over.

"Momma, I'm really sorry to tell you this, but I need to go to the bathroom again."

OF COURSE SHE DOES!

I attempt to leave Bennett with the others again, but he's not going for it this time and starts to throw a tantrum. I grab him, wet as he is, and carry him over while we wait for Morgan to do her business. Then, I'm finally able to sit down and sort of relax and it just hits me that I'm cranky! We played for about an hour until a group of older kids (probably from a camp) totally took over the park. Reverse the arrival process, getting kids out of wet swimsuits and into their dry clothes, repacking the stroller, complete with the gift that I have been hauling around for a month now, and then back to the car. We get home in record time (Momma was ready for nap time) and I've made up my mind. When the kids nap today? I'm napping. I haven't done this since we were visiting my parents' house.

I get home and cook corn dogs for the kids, warm up some leftover chicken and vegetables for me, and settle down to eat. Except Morgan is STILL HUNGRY. She tells me she wants a pear, so I cut one up for her and sit back down to eat. She asks if she can give some to Bennett, which I would normally allow, except that I had left the skin on her pear and didn't have the energy to get up and get the knife to cut it off for him. Poor kid.

Finally, though, FINALLY the kids were done eating and they each got their stories and then nap time. I take a quick glance at my to-do list and decide that a nap is definitely better than cleaning out my pantry, and turn on the TV and lay on the couch. And lay there. And lay there. For like, I dunno, an hour and a half? Trying and trying. AND CAN'T GO TO SLEEP. Which is totally ironic since the one day I decide I need one and will TAKE one, I CAN'T!!

So, here I sit. Telling the world how cranky I am. And I know that the kids are going to be up soon. And that makes me crankier. Because the time between nap time and dinner is the worst. And I'm hungry, dammit! But how dare I eat something, I'm already gaining weight.

Bahumbug!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I know how you feel: the tired but can't nap, the time between nap and dinner being the worst (though we are not napping every day anymore), the hungry. Unfortunately, NOT the going to the gym as I can't afford it... maybe soon. thinking about taking tennis with LARPD this Fall. Anyway, I'm a bitchy, cranky mom and daddy is a prince as usual.
Tonya