Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mop avoidance

You know how I know I hate mopping floors? Because I've just rearranged two drawers and three cabinets in my kitchen, all to avoid mopping the floor. But hey, I did something, right?

I'm sitting here on what's supposed to be a bar stool at a desktop computer that we have tucked away in an armourer in our guest room, squinting at the flat panel monitor that's a good two feet away from me. Now, I haven't used a desktop over a laptop in over five years. I don't really want to start now, but it seems I don't have many other options at the moment. Why, might you ask? Well, that's easy. BECAUSE MY HARD DRIVE CRASHED. I'm trying really hard not to freak out about it. We do have this computer plus, when I really need to lounge on the couch and get my "web-ing" on, I could always borrow Lance's laptop. But *my* laptop will be off until I receive my replacement hard drive from the manufacturer. Yesterday, as I was avoiding other mopping-like tasks, my computer locked up and I could not get it to free up or shut down. So, given no other choice, I just turned it off. You know, with that big power button that turns it off. Which, apparently you are NOT supposed to use unless directed so by the Operating System. Because when I did? It killed my laptop. Never to be seen again.

Now, you'd think having worked in high tech for the past, oh I dunno, ELEVEN years, I would do things like back up my hard drive regularly. Ha! Not me. I like to live on the edge. :) So, I've now likely lost what was on the hard drive.

The thing that I'm really trying to remember is what exactly was on there. I didn't have too much really important stuff on there, luckily, since I just got it for my birthday last year. The pictures I just downloaded from my camera while I was on vacation were on there, but I've uploaded them to my online photo sharing page, so I can get them to burn a DVD with the pictures on it. There are various documents that I use regularly that I'll either have to recreate or ask someone that I've given them to to email to me. I'll probably be missing an email address or two, but other than that, I'm not sure. What is that thing that I'm going to slap myself on the forehead about in a month and repeat to myself for the fourteenth time "you should have done a backup"? Guess who's going to have a new backup regimen? :)

Yes, I know this is a very exciting topic. Further evidence of the aforementioned stalling.

Oh, and just for the record, ibuprofen is a wonderful thing. Guess who's going to Core Training through Dance tonight?? :)

2 comments:

melissa said...

Have you learned nothing from Carrie Bradshaw, Aiden, and Sad Mac? You MUST back up ;-)

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of a Scooba? http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=128

I have a roomba but vaccuming robots and collies do not mix so well. =( It does a great job... really I need to give mine to my sister who has a poodle and got new hardwood floors. It would serve a better purpose there.

I always thought the scooba would be cool but since I don't use the roomba I won't let myself get one.

I got my roomba from www.woot.com... I think I have seen a scooba on there but it's a daily deal thing so you never know.