Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thinking about responsibility

At Bennett's 15 month checkup yesterday, I made Morgan's 5 year checkup appointment. It was a little bit difficult, logistically, since the doctor had already advised us to make sure that we are able to give her 100% of our attention at this visit since she's getting all her kindergarten shots. So, I scheduled the appointment for next week and Lance is working from home. After I picked Morgan up from camp yesterday, I let her know that I made her appointment for next week. She's been asking about it because she knows that shots are part of the package. So, now she knows when it's going to happen.

Today, I told Morgan that she could pick either of us, Daddy or me, to go with her to her doctor's appointment.

"Okay. I need some time to think about it. I want to pick someone who's going to be responsible with my shots", she tells me. Trying not to laugh, I respond, "Okay. That sounds fair." We continue to discuss her appointment and she tells me that she's going to try not to cry and she's going to try to be brave.

During dinner tonight, I told Lance that Morgan was thinking about who she wanted to have take her to the doctor next week and that she was considering who she thought would be responsible. Then she says, "Daddy? Do you think you can handle it?". I almost peed my pants.
Lance lets her know that we won't be giving her the shots, that the nurse will do that. She was like, "Oh yeah. Well, you need to be there to make sure it all goes okay." I added, "Maybe hold your hand". She emphasized it to him, "Yeah, can you handle THAT?!" Lance said, "I can definitely handle that."

As of now, she still hasn't made her decision. What will I do if it's not me??!

No comments: