Tuesday, July 8, 2008

One therapy session for the desperate soccer mom, stat!


I guess I'm officially a "soccer mom", whatever that means. Morgan called me a soccer mom before, but only I was the one playing. Now my eldest has entered the sport and so, in all literal terms, I am now officially ONE OF THEM. :)

In all seriousness, Morgan started soccer today and can I just say that she was totally in her element? She LOVED every moment of it, and did fairly well for never having played before. I'm so glad I was there to watch her. She told me after it was over how much fun she had. Even despite the fact that it was already closing in on 100 degrees and it wasn't even noon yet.

The rest of my day was spent in the car. Ran back home for lunch before camp started. Ran Morgan back over to camp and then back home for Bennett's quick nap. Bennett's 15 month checkup (more on this in a moment) and then back to pick Morgan up from camp. Run to Target for a last minute thing and then back home until Lance got home from work. Then we headed out to dinner. I honestly felt like I spent the majority of my day in the car. And did I mention that it was at least 110 here today? Yeah....my AC doesn't crank hard enough to cool me off in the car. It's supposed to be just as hot tomorrow, too. Good times.


So, Bennett's 15 month checkup was interesting. The main topic of conversation? His tantrums and the fact that he's the most stubborn person I know. Before I left, the pediatrician actually offered to refer me to a psychologist. Now, I'm not sure if I came off as a desperate mom, or if he was just being compassionate to my situation, but nevertheless, he actually offered me THERAPY in the context of dealing with my son. He told me that it's going to be hard for another 3- 5 months or so and then again for his entire terrible twos, again after he enters Kindergarten, then first grade, eighth grade and again in eleventh grade. He says it's very predictable. I'm not sure if he's suggesting that I start stock piling money for the upcoming therapy sessions, or if he's just giving me a panoramic view of my future. He actually told me that he can tell that he's going to be a tough one - he can see it in his eyes. Wanna know what he told me he could see in Morgan's eyes when she was around Bennett's age? The fact that she would be very talkative. Yeah, so he's basically the horse whisperer of children. I listen to him!

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that HE AGREES WITH ME. My child is, in fact, the most stubborn child on the face of the planet. He didn't say it in those terms, but I know he meant it. He might also agree with me that he gets it from his father. We didn't go that far.

No comments: