Friday, July 11, 2008

Just to set the record straight...

I don't often send my bloggings to my husband or ask that he read my blabberings. But given that yesterday was our anniversary and that I'd outwardly professed my love and devotion to him in a very public manner, I sent him a little email with a link to my blog with a quick note saying Happy Anniversary. See you tonight. Love, P.

So, he reads it, comments "you're welcome" and that's it, right?

Well, he gets home from work and my visions of the kids sleeping in bed and me standing fully dressed in a strapless gown in the dining room with candles lit and Billie Holiday playing in the background when he arrived home, had already disintegrated into me standing at the top of the stairs in a towel with my hair dripping as I'm yelling down at the kids "Morgan WHAT are you doing?? Are you done YET?? Bennett WHAT did you just throw from your highchair??" as I'm frantically trying to get ready and get the kids fed simultaneously. Did I mention that the lobster tail that I was planning to use in the dish I was going to make for us was still thawing in the sink?

Anyhooooo - he walks in and heads upstairs where I instantly abandon plan A and go straight into plan B. See, I had already made reservations at a local fondue place for dessert and had already arranged for my niece to come hang out while the kids slept. Only, we could actually go and have a complete dinner that neither one of us had to cook and one that I didn't have to rush through getting ready for. After a few moments of discussion, the decision was made and the lobster tail was packed back up and put in the refrigerator for another night. I continue getting ready, he bathes Bennett and puts him to bed while Morgan is showering upstairs and I'm getting ready. Lance comes upstairs to shave and announces that my blog entry was long. I asked him if he liked it and he said he did. Then we were distracted by a certain 5 year old who was stalling bedtime in the hopes that she'd catch a glimpse of her cousin.

After getting to the restaurant, we pick the conversation back up and he told me that he COULDN'T BELIEVE I told everyone about the radar detector. To which I stated the obvious. I've already told everyone. Duh! I ask him if his recollection of the events were the same as mine. He tells me that they are, for the most part, but that I was REALLY emphatic about my resistance to him. I told him that it was a historical truth. He also tried to debate me on the fact that he was eating a hamburger off a paper plate when I woke up that day, but some things are just etched in your memory forever and that is one that will forever be etched in mine. I know, it's so romantic and all, it would be hard for me to forget, right?

So the conversation leads to me asking him about how often he reads my blog. Whenever I send him a link. *blink**blink*. I decided then and there (and I told him so, too) that I'm going to start fabricating things about him, or worse, TELL THE FULL TRUTH, to make sure he's paying attention. I think it's only fair that if I'm the one recording our family's history, he should at least review it. Don't you think?

In that vein, last night, he farted in his sleep twice in a row. REALLY LOUD.

We had a wonderful, four-course dinner last night without any "quit throwing food" and "EAT!" comments necessary. Okay, well maybe only once or twice.

1 comment:

melissa said...

LOL! Glad you guys had a nice dinner. Happy anniversary!