Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Newsflash: Shopping without kids is good for sanity, but not for wallet

I took advantage of Lance working from home yesterday to do my big Costco trip without the accompanying "he touched me" or sippy cup throwing that comes like a package deal with my two kids. I was sort of on a timeline since I wanted to be back before they woke up, so that Lance wouldn't be interrupted from his work. But, I also sort of had time to peruse. And did I peruse!

I started in the dry foods section and had at least five items in my buggy (yes, it's a buggy, not a shopping cart - I'm from the south, people!) before I even got to the main reason for the trip - produce, dairy and meat. I need MORE snack options. Ooohhh, look. There's fruit leather. That will be good for the kids. Oh wait, dried apricots without sugar added? Excellent choice! CRAISINS will make a nice change of pace from the raisins! Apparently I am afraid that we are going to run out of dried fruit! And am also trying to give my kids the shits...although I will say that it made it easier this morning to convince Morgan to try to eat oatmeal when she had all these "goodies" to put in there.

So, I spent probably at least $30 more than I normally would have if I'd had the kids there with me. It's a total survival mission when they are with me. Get in and get out. Only the essentials. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friends from NYC say wagon. They think that I'm cracked when I say cart ;)

-e-

Anonymous said...

Heh, it is a little bit easier with just one. I stick her (kicking and screaming) into the cart (I'm a native Californian) and shove some of the taster food at her. She is happy and I get to peruse. As long as she gets her usual book out of the deal all is good with the world. Tonya

Work in Progress said...

Doesn't ANYONE else call it a buggy? C'mon, can't I get some love??

melissa said...

A buggy is something british kids ride in.