Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hi. My name is Paige. I love you.

Okay, so there are two people at the club that I'm totally loving right now. One is an instructor of some of the classes I'm taking and the other works in the kids' game room and nursery.

The class instructor teaches a wide variety of classes and I've been fortunate enough to show up for a lot of hers lately. The latest being the cardio & core class I took this morning. Now, the first class I took of hers, cardio kickboxing, should have given me a warning on how this woman operates, but I wasn't sure if it was standard fare for her class, or what. The first class I took, she had us do some kickboxing stuff in the classroom first and then she moved us to the indoor track. Only, how do you think we got there? Walking? Nooooo. Running? Hardly. How about some sideways lunges, passing a medicine ball back and forth to your partner. But that was only the prelude to the big event. Once we got to the indoor track (upstairs) one of the partners had to run five laps while the other went up and down the stairs with the medicine ball over their head. Like a bazillion times. Until the partner was done running. When I was running, I ran fast; I did not want to make my partner work so hard climbing the stairs until I was done! Not sure what my partner was thinking when it was HER turn to run. Anyhooo...that was the first class I took of hers.

Today's class was cardio & core. We got warmed up in the classroom, and again hit the indoor track. Only this time, we took weights with us and did some arm work while walking a brisk pace around the track. And when we were done with that, it was up and down the stairs. And when that was over, wall squats. Then back to the classroom for core work. She had four stations set up. Medicine balls to pull across your body to work your obliques, exercise balls for sit ups, some crazy station where you had to jump to plank position and back up, a BOSU balance ball where you had to stand ON TOP of it and do squats with a kick in front in between. NOT EASY, people! After spending one minute on each station, we headed back to the indoor track. We went there her favorite way, with the medicine ball squat passes to our partner. We repeated the five laps and stairs partner work, only this time we ran one lap, shuffled to the right for one, ran another, shuffled to the left for another, ran another one, and THEN for the severely clumsy paranoid person inside us all, we ran the last lap BACKWARDS. All the while our partner was up and down the stairs with the medicine ball over their head. You would think we'd be done, right? WRONG. Back to the classroom for another round at the stations. This time the medicine ball was used for straight curl sit ups, the exercise ball for crossover sit ups, more of the plank stuff, and then balancing on top of the BOSU while rotating our toes in a clockwise position from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock and back. THEN we went back to the track to do a quick run of another five laps. Needless to say, I was very sweating and a fair bit tired when the class was finally over. But, I LOVE this feeling! And I know I'm getting a great workout because she mixes it up so much. My mom has a personal trainer who is so awesome (read: regularly kicks my butt when I'm there), named Jane. This woman is Jane if Jane was teaching group exercise classes. Yeah, so you KNOW she's hardcore! (Jane, please don't try to one up her next time I see you! I am sure you are WAY better. You don't have to prove it to ME. Maybe to my Mom. Just a little. )

The other person that I'm just LOVING at the club is the one who works in the kids' game room and nursery. I've been watching her off and on for the few weeks we've been going. (No, I'm NOT stalking her). She's very smart and really, really great with the kids. She looks to be about 16 or 17. I'm already thinking about asking her if she babysits. Only I feel all weird. Like I'm asking her on a date or something. I don't know how to do this! I'm sure she gets this a lot - working with the kids at the club. I bet she also gets paid a lot. Yeah, she's that good. How do I even go about this? What if she doesn't want to babysit my kids? How will I take the rejection? Oh the drama! LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most health clubs here pay their child care people VERY little. Like $8/hour. Now, I know CA is different, so I cannot imagine she is getting a zillion dollars. It may be against the rules of the club for her to baby sit your kids though. Maybe talk to her supervisor and see if it is okay to ask? If not, at leat you pass the word to her supervisor she rocks.

Work in Progress said...

Good idea! Thanks Chan! :)