Monday, July 21, 2008

Enjoying the day like a child

Yesterday was a nice low-key day. Church in the morning for all, home for lunch and then naptime. Lance and I watched Jumper while the kids slept and they woke up right after it was over. After naps and snack, we headed out to walk to a nearby-ish park (about a mile and a half away). The kids slid down the slides, swang on the swings, and even climbed some trees and then it was time to head home. We had leftovers for dinner, so there wasn't a mess to clean up. Kids went to bed and then Lance and I got caught up on Big Brother 10.

Now, today? Likely to be a different story. I have another outing for the kids planned. As much as I love taking them to these cool places, the fact of the matter is that it's a tiring process. Packing stuff up. Packing them up. Driving there. Getting everything situated in the stroller. Snack time. Lunch time. Nap time. Cranky time. Arguing time. Crying time. Drive back. Have no time left for the day to do stuff that needs to be done. Swim lessons. Rush around in a panic trying to throw dinner together only to wish it were 8pm already so I can sit on my butt and veg in front of the TV.

For one day, though, I'm going to try to chill out. I'm going to get there when I get there. I'm going to try to let ungrateful comments roll off my back. I'm going to put a roast in the crock pot before we leave so I don't have to rush for dinner and I'm going to pack stuff for the gym/swim lessons so that if we need to go straight there, we can. I've gotten the toilets cleaned already and I'll run the Roomba while we're gone.

And I'm going to try to put myself in their shoes today. And try to enjoy the day the way they do.

No comments: