Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The 80s called. They want their STEP back.

The class I got everyone up and out of the house for was supposed to be Cardio and Core with my all-time favorite instructor, Jenn. So, imagine my surprise when I walk into the classroom to see a seemingly washed up 80s STEP aerobics instructor there. What??

She had several circuits set up -- STEPs, BOZU's and a rope ladder laid out on the ground. Looked interesting. I'm already here. The time slot works for me. I'll give it a shot.

Except it was such an 80s flashback. Remember back in the 80s when STEP aerobics was the hottest ticket in town?? I'm sure this instructor was also the hottest ticket in town. Back then. Roughly 20+ years ago. As it stands today, in 2008, if I want to TAKE a STEP class, I'll go to one. You know the one? The one they have a week. Because, like....uh....nobody really does STEP anymore. Sure, you use the STEP to do other exercises. But using the STEP and doing STEP; two different things. She had us doing all these crazy combinations all over and around the STEP. There were even arm movements. Up-up, down-down, Both up, both down and cross in front (twice). And if this weren't bad enough, she didn't give you any warning when she was switching movements. It was really like she thought everyone must do these steps every day. It's like she walked out of August 18, 1982 straight into August 19, 2008. I seriously felt like I was being PUNKED. Even the music!! Oh the music!! It wasn't even the GOOD 80s music. Oh it was soooo bad. The saving grace was that at least she wasn't wearing some crazy 80s lycra unitard or something.

I was working up a good sweat, so I stayed for half the class. But after that, and with some more crazy straddle, hop, shimmy moves over the STEP, I decided I'd ditch it. This is TOTALLY against my being. I NEVER do something like that. That should give you some indication of how bizarre this class was. I need to figure out who that instructor was. I want to make sure I never walk into her class again!

No comments: