Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to our schedule

With the summer coming to a close, I'm ready to get back on a regular schedule. Regular activities for the kids, regular activities for me, and less of the frantic running around and driving great distances for a day of summer fun. As much as I love the summer and all the fun stuff we do, I also crave the day-to-day sanity, come August.

Morgan's school is on an early release schedule this week, which is a good way to ease into school. But it also means that I have another week or so before I can really get the schedule nailed. This morning, I walked Morgan to her class and waited until they went in. I chatted a little with her teacher about working in the classroom (she'll have sign-ups next week at Curriculum Night).

After we left Morgan, Bennett and I headed back to our car, stopping to talk to a few friends on the way. We stopped by the doctor's office to have my TB test read and then headed over to the tennis club, where I was early for the spin class (it didn't make sense for me to go home). Which was apparently a good thing, since all the moms across the Tri-Valley region descended upon this class at once. I felt the estrogen as I entered the room. Oh my! Where have these women been all summer?? Glad I was there early to pick a non-squeaky bike. The workout kicked my ass. Literally. I was already sore from the squats and lunges we did in kickboxing last night, but the spin class just really brought it home.

After class, I went to the nursery to pick up Bennett and got a list of babysitters from them (hooray!!). We were too early to go pick up Morgan, so we went home for all of 15 minutes before we had to turn around and go pick her up. Now I know why parents who's children have 8:30-11:45 class schedules are not big fans. Thank goodness for 8:10-12:10!! Anyway - we picked Morgan up and it was less chaotic than yesterday, which was really good. Morgan was excited again, telling me that "it was AWESOME AGAIN!" She really seems to like her teacher and she's told me stories about how her teacher is teaching them to be respectable (she meant respectful) and how to handle scissors. Two very important life lessons.

The boy that she reported yesterday was not a good listener, was apparently not listening again today. I had told her last night that I was proud of her for listening and she mentioned this little boy. I told her that maybe he will be a better listener today. Today, she reported that I was wrong about him. :) She told me that a kid was doing something mean to her today and she just asked them to stop and that was the right thing to do. I asked her how she knew that was the right thing to do and she told me she knew it because her teacher told her that it was the right thing to do. She also told me that she would always be a good listener and be respectable (again, respectful) to her teacher because she doesn't EVER want to get into trouble. She only wants good news to tell us. VERY HAPPY to hear this!! Her favorite part of the day yesterday was playing with the doll house, which had a cat with a bed who ate dog food. So, wouldn't that make it a dog-food-eating-cat-house? Anyway -her favorite part today was eating their snack outside. Seriously? We've been eating snack and lunch outside practically all summer. But, this is her favorite part of her day! :)

We came home and I made lunch and then finished up my chores (except laundry, which is going on now). All before nap time. Love it! This is feeling faintly like a normal day. Crazy.

As a side note, please do not ever take advice from me to buy WHATEVER is on sale at the meat counter. Because lamb breast?? Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding a recipe online that doesn't make me gag. My favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com, informed me that there was NO RECIPES that had the words lamb and breast in them. NONE. At ALLrecipes.com. And then I start googling lamb breast and I find out that it "is typically well over 50% fat, even if you trim it. When I was growing up it was something that only poor people bought, and these days most of it ends up exported to Pacific Island countries or processed for pet food. I only see it for sale in places where a lot of Pacific Islanders shop." Ummm, yeah. So, I'm debating myself on whether or not to just toss it. Or perhaps I could cook it up for THE DOG?? Hey, at least it was REALLY CHEAP.

2 comments:

Chantel said...

I am laughing so hard at the lamb breast thing. I asked my dad, who works in the meat industy an, back when we had our store, used to be the butcher for it. He said "yeah, tell her to give it to the dogs. No one wants to eat that."

melissa said...

Sometimes, frugal is a bad thing.