Saturday, August 23, 2008

Where's the cleaning crew?

One of the things that they've been pushing for at the school is for people to volunteer time over the weekend to do clean up. They had a bulletin board up at the barbecue last night, where you could pull a card for the activity you wanted to do. I was there with another Mom from Morgan's class and we both pulled cards to clean up the Kindergarten playground. Mine was to wash the play structures and hers was to sweep it. Seemed like it would take us, what, like an hour?? Try nearly FOUR! There was so much that needed to be picked up, cleaned up, swept up, etc. Of course, it didn't help that we are both kind of perfectionists. :)

Anyway - we got there expecting SOMEONE to be there, maybe at a table with coffee and donuts?? I'm not sure what movie I was stepping out of, but the stark reality hit me when it was us, one other mom who was weeding, the principal who was cleaning the hallways, and the janitor. And then it dawned on me. Similarly to the moms club, where 10% of the people do 90% of the work, it's going to be that way at the school, too. I know cleaning parties aren't everyone's cup of tea. I also know that people may be coming at different times all weekend long. Or maybe they are the ones who signed up to hand out sno-cones at the barbecue last night. But if you saw the building that the school district gave the charter school, you'd understand why I was anxious to go clean. Also you can understand why they want to break ground on the new school next summer and have it open by the time school starts in 2010.

Even though there weren't that many parents there, I feel good knowing that come Tuesday morning, I've cleaned every square inch of those play structures with vinegar and water and the yard is all swept up. And Morgan even helped, so I'm sure she'll be telling everyone of her good deeds to make their environment a little nicer. Plus she got to play with her friend until they were sick of each other. Maybe they'll be able to listen to the teacher come Tuesday morning.

Kids are napping and I'm nasty. Must go get showered. Birthday party tonight. I'm running myself ragged....

No comments: