Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day Two: Operations "Daddy's Not Home"

I didn't sleep very well last night. Probably just the empty half of the bed I'm not used to. Then Bennett was up with hiccups at 6am this morning, but he did go back to sleep. The kids didn't sleep LATE like I had hoped when I wore them out at Super Franks last night, but they didn't get up early either. And you know what? I'll take that.

Not sure if it's the fact that I was wincing my way down the stairs this morning, or what, but I wasn't very chipper this morning and the kids were bouncing off the walls. The first thing Morgan wanted to know was what I had planned for today. I think she's getting a little spoiled by all the fun stuff. Good thing school starts in a few weeks! I told her that I didn't have a ton planned, but that if she was good today, we'd do a "girl night" tonight after Bennett goes to bed.

"Girls night" consists of:
1 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie rented yesterday (opted for the newer version with Johnny Dep. Yumm-o)
1 bowl of fat free popcorn, with White Cheddar popcorn seasoning
2 glasses of water
1 foot spa
1 bottle of nail polish
plenty of napkins and paper towels
staying up past bed time
spending some good time together at home - just the two of us
a dash of giggling
letting Morgan sleep with me in my bed (has NEVER happened before)
whispering until we fall asleep

So, she was all "yippee" and I'm all "remember you have to earn this". To which, she assured me she would.

I had planned on taking a 9:30 kickboxing class, but trust me when I say I thought about going EARLY just to get these bouncy kids out of the house. Bennett was in the full fledged toddler mode of pulling stuff off shelves and getting into things and Morgan was hovering over him, reporting all the infractions. I managed to push off our departure time until just *slightly* earlier than necessary and we got to the tennis club with just enough time for me to get everyone settled, have a potty break and then go to my class.

The class was a bit cardiovascularly challenging, but really it's my freaking legs that are KILLING me. Like my quads. Should have stretched them better after yesterday's workout, I think. But, I made it through the one hour torture, and went and got the kids. My plan was to hit a park on the way home and then do lunch and naps. However, my plans quickly changed when a certain five year old informed me that she needed to go potty. So, we headed home where she went to the bathroom, I changed Bennett's diaper and then I packed up our lunches and we took off for the park.

It must be national Dads Take Your Kids To The Park Day because there were three other families there, but no other Moms to be found. This only served to make us miss Daddy a little more, but we wouldn't let that spoil our fun! We played for a little while on the playground equipment and with the other kids. Oh! Did I mention? Tom Cruise was there? Yeah. This guy looked EXACTLY like him. I was trying to discreetly smell my arm pits to see how bad I stank. Want to know something? There's no discreet way to do that. So, instead, I imagined that he really was Tom Cruise. With all his crazy Scientology craziness. And I was all good with my gym clothes and sweaty pits. :)

After playing for a bit, we sat down and had our picnic lunch and then there was more playing, tree climbing, nature walking and then FINALLY it was time to go home. We came home and the kids easily went down for naps.

What's next on Day Two, you might ask? Well, not to let anyone get BORED or MISCHIEVOUS, we will go directly to the pool when the midgets wake up. It's finally warm enough today. And after the pool? We'll come home and have showers and dinner and I don't even have to cook! I have leftovers for me and I'll make mac n cheese for the kids. After dinner, Bennett will go go to bed and Morgan and I will have our girl time. See recipe above.

This is how the rest of the day WILL go. Right??

Mantra:
Keep a positive attitude.
Keep them busy.

I will make it through this with my sanity intact!

No comments: