Saturday, August 16, 2008

Every girl's dream...theater then shopping!

Today was my afternoon out with Morgan. We try to do this about once a month and then Daddy takes her somewhere special once a month. It's one of the ways we try to make sure that we spend time alone with each kid. Particularly Morgan since she can actually remember when she didn't have to share us with her brother.

So today, I planned for us to go the the theater and then to go shopping for back-to-school clothes. I mean, how much more girly can it get?? We saw a children's production of Willy Wonka Junior that was playing at our new community theater. The kids in the show were very cute and a couple of them were actually pretty good. This, of course, was on the heels of our girls' night where we watched the movie (hmmm, wonder if that was planned?) and I refused to tell her what her surprise was all day. She kept begging me! She even woke up a little early from her nap and ran upstairs to where I was getting dressed to ask me if I'd tell her now. She was just dying!! As we were driving there, she keeps guessing and asking questions.


"Momma, is it going to take long to get there?"
"I know. We are going to Chuck E Cheese!"
"Are we going to see a movie?"

Even in the line at the theater, she's insisting that it SURE DOES SEEM LIKE A MOVIE. We go inside and the show is starting just as we arrive. I asked her if she knew who it was and she shook her head. I told her it was Willy Wonka and the girl actually went "squeee!". She was very excited and loved the whole thing. She also happens to be a Loud Talker and was calling the upcoming scenes in a fairly loud voice. "Oh yeah! That's the girl that turns into a blueberry!" or "Isn't that the kid that falls into the chocolate??". After the show was over, they handed out chocolate bars to all the kids and one of them had a golden ticket in it. It wasn't ours. But that didn't detract from the fantasy around the whole thing. Morgan was so excited by the whole thing and kept telling me that this was SUCH A GREAT SURPRISE MOMMA!

I knew she was really tickled when she turned to me in the theater and whispered, "Does Daddy know??" :)

We went and got smoothies after the show and then when we were ready to go, we took off to go back to school clothes shopping. I told Morgan how excited I was about this and she didn't seem to share my sentiment. I said, "I remember going shopping with Grandma when I was little. I always had fun. I still have fun shopping with Grandma." She responded that she doesn't really care for shopping. "It's always boring. It's just food and stuff." I realized then that she thought we were going GROCERY SHOPPING. I laughed and told her that no, we were not going to be buying food. We were buying clothes. For her. Then she got it. She even asked if she could try stuff on in the dressing room like I do. Now that's my girl! Since I had my camera with me, I thought I'd do a little photo shoot of the fashion show in the dressing room. She was really hamming it up for the camera.




We had a successful shopping trip, but one thing is for sure. I'm glad that she insisted on trying stuff on. My girl? She's got junk in her trunk. We had to go to size 6 on some of her pants. :)