Monday, August 25, 2008

It's *almost* time to rest

Okay, I need to get this first day of Kindergarten thing over with, because I'm running ragged and making myself crazy. We were at the doctor's office this morning at 8am (which was a good trial run for tomorrow -- and let's just say I need to work on PATIENCE and less stressing) for my TB test. We were done there at 8:20 and my spin class didn't start until 9. Plenty of time to run back to the house and finish cleaning the bathrooms and run the dishwasher. Because we can't just kick back for a few minutes, now can we??

I just feel like things are all in disarray after my busy weekend and I always look forward to Mondays to get them back in order. Well, I need them in perfect order before tomorrow because tomorrow is The Day. Anyway, I digress...

Spin class at 9 and she always goes over making us do push ups and sit ups, which are good for me, but always make me feel like I need to rush through getting showered and ready so as to not go over my two hour time limit in the nursery. I was right on time, however and we got loaded up in the car and headed for the mall, in search of the elusive white tennis shoes with NO pink, sparkles, bangles (this is the latest thing in girls shoes ---why, I implore shoe makers, why??), and that have Velcro instead of laces. These shoes DO NOT EXIST people. I got something that I can make work with various colors of clothing at JC Penney's -- they are white Sketchers with silver Velcro stuff. I don't love them, but they will work. We also got Morgan's new backpack at Penney's. The one she had wasn't big enough to fit a 9x13 envelope in it, so we had to buy a new one. Which is practically as big as her. She looks so tiny carrying this huge backpack. But, it's cute and she helped pick it and the matching snack bag out. She's so cute and excited. She even asked if she could carry the snack bag around the mall. Ha!

We went to lunch at Fresh Choice while we were there. Fresh Choice is slightly logistically difficult with a two kid to one parent ratio, particularly when one of them isn't voice control trained. But, we made it work. Bennett wasn't really into much of the food I got for him except the beets and corn bread muffin?? Strange child. But OH BUDDY, when it was time to get ice cream, he was ALL about it. Smiling, laughing, saying "Mmmmmmm!". I wasn't going to get him any since he had officially ended his lunch by throwing a pita chip clear across the table and practically on our neighbor's lap, but how can you resist the "Mmmmmm"? So, I put a small amount of frozen yogurt in his bowl and we all go back to the table. Where he proceeds to PRY my hands off his bowl, saying "No No" the whole time. I tried to let him hold the bowl while I fed him. "No No!" I tried to hold the bowl while he fed himself. "No No!" No, in fact, he insisted on both holding the bowl AND feeding himself. Just like we big kids do. In fact, I caught him stealing glances over at Morgan and imitating what she was doing. He actually did a pretty good job, but he took FOREVER and the frozen yogurt wasn't so frozen anymore. And then it was just a huge mess. So, I told him "One more bite" and I helped him take his last bite and if you've never heard the wail of a child who's had his ice cream taken from him, well my friends, you just haven't lived! I knew it was about to erupt, so I'm quietly and calmly whispering to Morgan that it's time to go. "Finish it up we are leaving NOW", as I'm wiping Bennett up and trying to muffle his screams at the same time. He does the complete back arch stiff legged approach to the stroller, so I have to man-handle him down into the stroller and this only escalates the screaming. I snatched his sippy cup off the table and WE WERE OUT OF THERE. So quick, in fact, that I almost felt like someone who was trying to dine and dash.

Yeah. So, note to self. CONES for Bennett at Fresh Choice. CONES.

Now it's nap time and I've got to vacuum because our Roomba is refusing to cooperate, dammit. Then I need to bust out the iron and iron some of Morgan's clothes for this week and then once they get up, I'm washing their blinds and windows. At some point, I suppose I'm going to need to cook dinner. And then, maybe then, it will be time for me to relax.

No comments: