Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It had such potential...

The day actually started out pretty good. I woke up early, when Lance's alarm went off and then deftly masked my woken state by covering my sounds with the sounds of Lance getting ready for work. I was successful at doing this, so I was able to get up, get dressed, get my bag packed for the gym, the bed made and then had an entire TEN MINUTES of complete solitude this morning. I know, miracle, right?

But the Momma senses are strong in my kids and soon, I hear the patter of Morgan's feet, getting out of bed. I hear her turning off her nightlight and then a little more stumbling, and then she comes out of her room, big grin stretching across her face, and announces that she got dressed before leaving her room like I asked her to last night. :) I gave her my biggest smile and a huge hug and then we headed in to get breakfast. These days, she's preferring cereal over any hot breakfast, so she's pretty easy. I start chopping up fruit for Bennett (some for now and some for playgroup) and make him some toast and then I turn on the coffee pot, sure that this will rise him from his state of slumber. There was an 8:30 class I wanted to take! But I didn't hear him, so I sent Morgan in to wake him up and she did just that. I went in and got him up and dressed and then set him in his highchair to eat his pears and toast. He was happy as a clam, as I went ahead and got his shoes on and gathered all the requisite bags by the door -- gym bag, gym diaper bag, and real diaper bag. Check, check, check. Morgan is quietly watching cartoons, which is a rare treat so early in the morning. Ahhh, breathe it in. A peaceful morning.

We get to the gym, not running so that I make my class, but WITH TIME TO SPARE, so I'm able to go to the bathroom and do some stretching before it starts. Morgan decides she wants to do Kid Fit, so I'm happy that she'll be burning off some energy before Bennett's playgroup. I took a new class for me - power cross training - and it was good, but I doubt I'll become a regular. Nevertheless, it was a good workout. After class, I have time to shower and actually dry my hair ALL THE WAY, including the FLAT IRON. Yeah, what a luxury! I'm chit chatting with some other moms about potty training, look at the clock and realize it's time to pick up the kids from the nursery. I get Morgan from the gym and Bennett from the nursery and we head off the playgroup.

Playgroup was going so well. We were at Melissa's house, in her beautiful backyard. Morgan had another older child there to play with and they were totally in love with their playhouse in the backyard. There was a water table for the little kids, and then Melissa went and got out the baby pool and Popsicles. The toddlers loved the Popsicles. See, here? This is one of the last pictures taken before the day took a grim turn.

I *think* it started when Bennett dropped the last 1/4 of his Popsicle on the ground. Given that he was already covered in Popsicle juice and the last bit had fallen on the ground, I walked over to the table to put it in the wrapper and throw it away. Only want to know what he saw?? Giant woman snatches baby's only possession, news at 11. Yep, he had a HUGE conniption fit. Okay, okay. So, I went inside and rinsed it off and he proceeded to lay himself on the ground so that he could have a full fledged temper tantrum. He scooted himself across their patio, kicking and screaming! I raced back to him with the freshly cleaned Popsicle and even that could not undo the events that unfolded next.

He stumbled around, drunk on his tantrum, and then he actually tried to go INSIDE with his purple gooey mess all over him. Of course, that wasn't happening until I cleaned him off. So, as I'm taking him over to the baby pool, he throws himself down on the ground and starts rolling around in the grass, screaming and crying. Oh the drama! People, this was academy award winning material. But, when I had the AUDACITY to try to wash him off in the pool??? Oh no. That's when he really pulled out the big guns. He even went so far as to start hitting himself in the head.

Trying my best to remain calm and at least APPEAR to know what I'm doing in front of all the other moms and kids, I take him over to dry him off so that he can then go into the house. EXCEPT HE WON'T SIT DOWN. Like I cannot BEND his legs that way. Oh this kid!! I finally wrap him up in a towel and pick him up and bring him inside, away from the spectators. He finally settles down, but I still had to get Morgan and our stuff outside together so we could leave. So, I go out and ask Morgan to get her shoes on so we can go. I'm sure you all know how she responded. "Of course, mother. I can see how difficult this is getting for you, what with the way my brother is behaving. I'll make it easy for you. Here. Let ME pack up the snacks we've pulled out. Oh, don't worry. I'll get the stuff back in my backpack." But that was just a momentary dream, and the reality of her standing there, crossed arms, telling me she didn't want to go smacked me right in the face. But, I cannot be distracted. I have a tantrum-drunk toddler on the loose inside. Must. Get. Stuff. FAST.

Of course, this is when Morgan bumps her head on the edge of a patio chair and I'm surprised that it wasn't pouring blood, from her reaction. I told her that when she was done with her dramatics, I need her to get her shoes on and gather her backpack and come inside. And off I went to deal with terror #2.

And I thought it was pretty funny when the pediatrician recommended a therapist. But you know what's even funnier than that? One of the moms asked me if I thought he got bit by a bee or something. Because that is the only explanation she could find for such behavior. Ha! I'll take that one to the therapist.

3 comments:

Kimberly Lloyd said...

I read this blog every day, and let me say: you and all mothers are my heroes. I cannot believe what you go through on a daily basis! So consider this my thanks for helping to raise the next generation to be so wonderful...or at least have wonderfully entertaining blog entries. :)

melissa said...

And yet - you were so calm and composed and NOT screaming at all! How did you do that??? Sorry I kinda cheered the lil stinker on. It was just such a CLASSIC tantum though. It was awesome. It's not just him. I fight back the smile when Clare starts in too ;-) Something about a full on tantum just cracks me up. Even when I'm totally annoyed. hehehe.

Sleep well ;-)

melissa said...

Okay, I do know it's called a TANTRUM not a TANTUM despite typing it wrong twice.